1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You're right. It won't. And it's an equally ridiculous idea to expect Dems to cross the aisle and help elect a Republican.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If I could get odds on Steve Womack as a compromise Speaker, I would bet it.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I did actually LOL at this one. Thanks!

dixiehack and garrow like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

LOL. Worthless words from weird wanker

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I get it now, but I don't follow Tessitore, so I had to look it up.
    Is Tessitore a loudmouth asshole?

I know De Niro has his flaws, but there's no arguing his intelligence.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Did you ever run numbers as a kid? I ask Tessitore.

He pauses for a long time. “I can’t talk about that,” he says.

Asked why, Tessitore launches into a speech about how pop culture tends to caricature the kind of Italian Americans he grew up around as thugs or buffoons. He has a special contempt for “sellout pieces of shit like Robert De Niro.”

Why ESPN Picked Joe Tessitore to Rebuild Its Relationship With the NFL - The Ringer

Slacker likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As much as it would make sense to have a few GOP moderates break with party and make Jeffries Speaker, it would work for all of five minutes. Unless Jeffries is able to finagle the rules to a point that it becomes impossible to challenge for the job, there will be more than enough Republicans who will challenge his Speakership to throw all of this into chaos more. There would just be constant votes to dump the Speaker and we'd be right back where we started. Short of expelling Gaetz, MTG, Boebert, Jordan and a couple others to flip the majority, there's just no way anything actually gets done.

That said, the biggest middle finger any of the traditional Republicans can throw at the Trumper-Fascists is to help get a Black Democratic Speaker and then actually get legislation passed as a result. They'd get primaried and it would end their political careers given the state of the party, but there needs to be a house cleaning (so to speak) in the GOP. They should have trounced the Dems in the midterms and didn't. They can't get their shit together. They're going to get trounced in the presidential election if things keep up, so moderates losing in primaries won't matter when a lot of them get bounced. It won't happen, but it's a nice thought.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was scrolling through the House Freedom Caucus roster and it is amazing how many absolute disqualifiers there are among that membership. It's almost like you can't be for low taxes, small government and secure borders and NOT pal around with white nationalists, and/or Trump or have some significant scandal in your past. It's really weird.

garrow likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

TowelWaver and HanSenSE like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let them switch parties and then be pain in the ass blue dogs on spending money. That’s probably what the folks back home in the big money suburbs wanted out of all this anyway. They won’t have uncontested Democratic primaries but they’d have a better shot overall.

Driftwood and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

There is not 1 chance in a gazillion he wrote that.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Depends on how they want to interpret their rules. If they want to make him Speaker, they can say he wasn't a member of leadership when he was indicted and that the rules don't apply in his case.

Rule 26—Temporary Step Aside of a Member of Leadership who is Indicted

(a) A member of the Republican Leadership shall step aside if indicted for a felony for which a sentence of two or more years imprisonment may be imposed.

Draft saved Draft deleted