1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I agree with that, especially Walmart. Self checkout was great when first introduced because it was designed for people with 2-3 items to scan and get out without waiting in line. Now, everybody is funneled to self checkout, no matter how much stuff they have. Combine people's sloth, the little platforms where you bag won't hold all they have, and general stupidity in terms of using the thing, and it's a pain.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

County governments here were basically dissolved 25-30 years ago. I think the only function they have anymore is law enforcement (county jail, county sheriff, DA) — and that’s not even always a thing, as several counties have combined DAs offices.

The idea of New York’s county legislatures fascinates me. I don’t know what responsibilities they have.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You mean those huge blobs of red on that one dipshit 2020 voting map?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And I probably drove through half of them on the way home from Palmetto yesterday. There are stretches of I-75 where you might cross into three counties before the next mile marker.

garrow and franticscribe like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The death row prison is in Butts County. How perfect is that?

maumann likes this.
  7. Driftwood

We have a county commission and four municipal governments... one of which is the county seat and actual town in the county, the other three being communities with a shoe shine that do have their own elected officials, public services, and Dollar General(s).
    The big problem is taxation. There is some sort of messed up state law that says half of all sales tax stays at the point of sale. Well, all the commerce in the county is within the city limits, which means the city gets half and the rest of the county, which is the majority of land and population, has to divide up the other half.
    It's always contentious when the county raises property taxes, the city lowers its, and tells the county it's going to cut what it gives to the county.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is all true. Self-checkout really should be limited to 10-item sales. Now, it is used primarily because there is seldom more than one regular check-stand open, and people have little choice. The line at the one open regular check-stand caused by those who have large basket-fuls of stuff and those who simply refuse to use self-checkout because they either don't want to, or else, because they think they're helping save our jobs -- even though that ship sailed long ago -- also is often ridiculously long.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Eight counties in Connecticut. If I’ve been to all of them, I wouldn’t know. Plenty of places in Connecticut that you’d never stumble across unless you had a reason to go there. Like Storrs or Bristol.

10. Driftwood

I spent four years as a state officer for a fraternal organization. I regularly had to criss-cross the state. Many a time as I was driving, I thought, "Boy, what I wouldn't give to be from Rhode Island or Connecticut."

CD Boogie and garrow like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

546 school districts in New Jersey for 1.3 million students, or 1 school district for every 2400 kids.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People slag on CT a lot, but I love it. Close to Boston and New York City, close to the sea. Rhode Island and Connecticut are very similar. Newport is one of my favorite places to visit. The change of seasons is great. I can’t see myself moving South or anywhere else to retire, not that I’m looking that far ahead.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted