1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What is this, the weekly NFL thread?

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The bombings can be seen at their usual time on the West Coast Bank.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have to think Pico/Robertson section down to Simon Wiesenthal Center is lined with a heavy police presence.

upload_2023-10-14_9-3-6.jpeg

upload_2023-10-14_9-11-36.jpeg

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I live a block from a Jewish day school, and there was a police car stationed there yesterday, along with the usual security.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's been interesting to me how much pushback and protest we've been seeing on US college campuses.

Part of which probably has to do with what I mentioned upthread - that a lot of these college students were born not only after Rabin's assassination and Israel's turn to the right, but after 9 / 11.

So they aren't steeped in the history of Israel's mid-century struggle to survive.

Rather, they've grown up with the rhetoric of BDS and apartheid and thinking of Israel - and Netanyahu - as a bully.

Interesting Peter Beinart piece from the Times. Gift link:

Opinion | There Is a Jewish Hope for Palestinian Liberation. It Must Survive.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which follows Murder ………… Hamas Wrote.

X-Hack, Batman and dixiehack like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doing my best and thank you. I can't imagine what people in her situation are going through. I was up late talking to her Thursday night because she was afraid. The Day of Terror thing got to her a little because she was planning to go to a gathering of Jewish people last night. She wasn't sure if she should go or not. She wasn't sure if she should take off her Star of David. She's usually fearless, so that was jarring for me to hear her talk like that. A friend of mine pointed out that this is her first real go around, comparing that fear to 9/11 for those of us who are old enough to remember it. That feels like an appropriate description. Ultimately, she decided to go. She was with most of the same people at a vigil Wednesday night. Most of them had met her boyfriend. They were all asking bout him and her. She felt like she had to be there after the way they supported her. She also has a stubborn streak. (I can't imagine where she learned that.) She didn't want to be scared off from things that matter to her. I'm sure every parent here gets how I'm feeling. She's hurting and scared for him. and other than listening and trying to find words that might comfort her, I can't do a damn thing about it.

I'm trying not to think the worst happened to her boyfriend. I also know that even if he's okay, we have quite a few days like this coming. He isn't even back in combat yet.

Edit to update: She spoke to him this morning. He's fine. Just had no connection to communicate with her.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I live across the street from the temple in our town. We often have a police car in front but 95% of the time it is unmanned. This week, it’s been multiple manned cars. I wasn’t around last night/this morning because we are visiting our college freshman, but my understanding is that it had been extremely well guarded for services.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My daughter told me the gatherings she went to the last two nights had a police presence, which is wise. I don't think it is just people sympathetic to Hamas who could do something. There are just regular bigots who might use this as an excuse.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted