1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My father refuses to use self check-out. His excuse: "I don't work for them."

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He could go grocery shopping with my dad, who still pays with checks (or did until recently that I know of).

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Forget checks. I've got a question for the person, usually ancient and female, who seems to always be in line directly in front of me:

If you spend 10 minutes rummaging through your purse to pay the cashier with exact change, how is it you still have enough pennies, nickels and dimes left over after all these years? Did your husband own the bubblegum machine franchise or do you just get your Social Security check in loose change?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah Ive lived along the coast my whole life and couldnt bear living inland in say Bristol. It’s the reason I couldnt stay in Nashville after college — way too far from the ocean. Not a sun-worshipper, but I love walking on the beach and being close to the sea.

Driftwood, OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wife and I are making a hard push to relocate to the Finger Lakes area right now. We could’ve done so already, but we’re holding out for a place on the water — one that’s big enough to fit our whole family AND cheap enough to not break the bank. It’s a delicate balance, for sure, but I can’t wait to be up there full time. I first fell in love with it in college 30 years ago, and have been trying to get back ever since.

6. MisterCreosote

That was Bill Burr’s bit back in the day.

Sir, you have to pay for those groceries!

No I don’t! I don’t work here! I did MY job — I picked out what I wanted, brought it up here, and was gonna pay you. But you weren’t there, so I fucking left!

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Did you go to Ithaca, or Cornell, or Hobart? Finger Lakes is a hidden gem, have friends with a place on Keuka Lake. Never visited, but have seen photos and its georgeous.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think the Finger Lakes will also become even more desirable as global warming makes that latitude a little more temperate. I feel the same way about Traverse City, which is where I’m eyeing for retirement.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The sun goes down, the light grows dim
    You can feel it starting all over again
    The moon comes up and the rally calls
    You're getting tired of staring at the same four walls

You're on the internet, searching for the latest tweet
    You want to be a part of the crowd in the evening heat
    The goon roars, the people scream
    Look at the faces, it's just like a dream

Nobody knows where you're going
    Nobody cares where you've been

'Cause you don't deserve any pity
    You belong to the Right
    Living in a river of darkness another angry white

You weren't born in the city
    Swaying to the beats
    It's in your moves, it's in your blood
    You're a man with some sheets

When you said goodbye you were on the run
    Tryin' to get away from the things he'd done
    Now he's back again and it's feeling strange
    So much has happened, but nothing has changed

Still don't know where you're going
    You're just yelling real loud

You don't deserve any pity
    You belong to the Right
    Living in a river of darkness another angry white

You weren't born in the city
    Swaying to the beats
    It's in your moves, it's in your blood
    You're a man with some sheets

You can feel it
    You can trace it
    You can see it
    You can't face it

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  10. MisterCreosote

I went to Ithaca.

We go to Honeoye Lake during the summer, but we’re looking at all of them. Plus Ontario and Oneida, if we find something we like. When we first started looking, each waterfront property was getting 30 or more offers. Things have died down a bit now.

This is from our last trip, taken from the back door of our cabin:

image0.jpeg

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I would love for self check out to have an item limit. Take your full cart and go to a checker and leave those of us with a literal handful of things to get in and out. Cali (which leads me to a Pennsylvania question) won’t let you buy alcohol at self check. If they need to see an ID, you must go to a person.

But I like self checkout. I don’t like making small talk with a checker (my introvert self) or having to say no to whatever charitable hustle they have.

So my Pennsylvania question: Why can’t I buy beer/alcohol at the checkout line?

wicked likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You can't buy alcohol in Pa. period at a "grocery store."

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted