1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I may not have this exactly right, since I left PA when you still had to go to a distributor, but I think it has to something to do with the supermarket only being able to sell beer through its “restaurant.” As in, the supermarkets themselves can’t get a license, but if they create a separate but attached restaurant or deli, that entity CAN get a license to sell alcohol.

I thought I heard that changed during COVID, but cannot confirm.

It’s all very stupid.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s a hassle. But I’ve only visited postcovid and it’s still a thing. Actually I think the beer checkout was next to the deli.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Indiana still doesn’t allow drive-through alcohol sales, so when you live in a town that is half in Indiana and half in Ohio, one side has a big advantage in alcohol sales.

At least Indiana now allows beer sales on Sunday. That one blew my mind when I moved here.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he's been to Stonington Borough. That is a beautiful place to walk around, and exactly what I imagined a seafaring town looked like 100 years ago (though now the houses command prices of $750K and up). I drive through Colchester every day to the school where I teach. That town has blown up in the last 25-30 years. Used to be your typical small town with all the businesses on one road; now it boasts the second most expensive Stop and Shop in the state (so I've been told).

We live in Old Lyme, at the mouth of the Connecticut River. Four-minute drive to the beach. Wife's grandparents built our house in 1946. Our kids are the fourth generation to live in this house, and fifth generation on this road. Barring something majorly unforeseen, it's nice to know that this should be the only house for us from here on out.

maumann and wicked like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn right.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My local hospital system has palm
    I greatly enjoyed my stay at a B&B in nearby Deep River this past spring.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Try living in a state that has 49 dry counties out of 75. Can’t buy a sixer to take home in those counties, but there’s usually an Applebee’s or VFW where you can belly up to a bar.

And only four municipalities are allowed to sell liquor or beer to go on Sundays.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Wait, what? You can't possess alcohol in a dry county? Not even in your home?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When I was growing up here, there were no booze sales in grocery stores. A few grocery stores had separately run liquor retailers at the front.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

This is false.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you can, I've yet to see it. Lived here for seven years. Then again, I don't drink. They have beer and (wine?) at Giant Eagle but that's all I've ever noticed.

EDIT: You know what, that's on me for using alcohol and not liquor. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted