1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Texas you can buy beer after 12 noon on Sundays, but no liquor on Sundays. There are fewer and fewer dry areas, but they still exist. It’s a crazy quilt of counties, cities and other political subdivisions, and even JP precincts can vote for local option.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Tennessee started allowing beer sales on Sundays in the mid 90s. You could only buy beer in grocery stores. Wine was sold at liquor stores, and they were closed on Sundays.
    A few years ago, the grocery lobby got wine in grocery stores. The tradeoff was liquor stores got to start opening on Sunday. You can buy beer at any time on Sunday, but wine sales are off until 10 a.m.
    In North Carolina, you can't buy beer or wine at the grocery store until after 10 or 11.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I don't drink either, just always thought it odd that in Indiana you can't buy cold beer at grocery stores, convenience stores etc. as it is just stacked on pallets. Cold brew is at the liquor stores.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I took job in Texas in the mid 80s. The first Sunday I was there, the guy in front of me in the store line bought a couple of 12-packs of beer. Having just moved, I needed a laundry basket, but the clerk said, “I can’t sell that to you on Sunday.” I didn’t think she was serious. She was because Texas blue laws at the time would let you buy beer on Sunday, but not household goods.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's hilarious.

Hilariously nutballs, I mean.

tea and ease likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My sister will tell you it’s because she and her friends lobbied the fuck out of the Leg on behalf of Trader Joe’s Green Hills store to get that to happen.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In PA I think you still have to go to a beer distributor if you want more than a certain amount (144 oz?).

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In my 20 years living here, things have evolved. Up until about 2008, you could only get alcohol at liquor stores, though you could get 3.2 percent beer at convenience stores. Not grocery stores. And no sales on Sundays.

Then they relaxed the Sunday rule. Then about five years ago, voters voted in beer in grocery/convenience stores. This past year, they voted in wine in grocery/convenience stores.

Also, still can't buy a car on Sundays here.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This way, the "basket of deplorables" couldn't be quickly gathered.

Draft saved Draft deleted