1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

California is very tight about a number of things but alcohol sales isn’t one of them.
    Sales must cut off by 2am unless localities do it sooner. No day restrictions.
    Groceries have free run to sell anything.
    Beer and wine can be bought at a gas station (not liquor) with placement and marketing restrictions.
    No dry counties.
    No drive thru sales.
    Restaurants must be licensed to sell.

So it was so weird the first time I went to Pennsylvania and wife and I got in trouble (not really but eyes were rolling in our general direction) for trying to go to a checker lane.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only blue law that still exists in Texas (besides hard liquor) involves motorized, titled vehicles, strangely enough. It passes muster only because dealerships are given the option of choosing either Sunday or Monday as the day off.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Tell her I said thanks.

When it happened, an old bible thumper friend of mine started calling local grocery stores telling the mangers that if they started selling wine, he would not shop there. I laughed at him and said he'd better start farming for his food because every store would stock the shelves as soon as they could.

2muchcoffeeman and TigerVols like this.
  4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

And we've reached the extortion phase.

"Representative Jim Jordan and his allies have begun a right-wing pressure campaign against Republicans opposed to electing him speaker, working to unleash the rage of the party’s base voters against any lawmaker standing in the way of his election."

Jordan Activates Right-Wing Pressure Campaign in Push to Win Speakership

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago I was in Durango for some golf and was struck by the weirdness that: 1) I could buy only 3.2 beer in the grocery store even though; 2) I could buy marijuana in shops quite proximate to that grocery store.

7. doctorquant

It passes muster because car sales taxes are a big chunk of state revenue and incumbents, protected by that law, therefore have the ears of the legislature.

There are others, too. For example, beer distributors have to be paid at delivery ... no credit. I've never quite pieced together the details as to who benefits and how, but you can bet your bippee someone does.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dalton Ranch?

Yes, marijuana and liquor gets lots of comparisons. Like right now, a push to have consumption lounges yet at least in Denver there are a lot of restrictions to opening them.

"What about bars? I can go get a drink. Marijuana should be the same" is the usual cry -- and yet there are so many differences that people don't get.

9. doctorquant

Yeah, played there, played Glacier (hardest damn course I've EVER played), Hillcrest and then Pinon Hills in Farmington.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Drove past Dalton Ranch on the 550 yesterday. Looked to be in fantastic shape. Great course with awesome views.

11. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

A duel among crooks? Is it in bad taste to root for fatalities?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted