1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Try that in a T-Town.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Leadership

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If you told me all those times fifteen years ago I covered lurking, skulking, angry Jim Jordan at all those grip and grin events that he’d hold the gavel…

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me why a group of former Ohio State wrestlers haven't tied up Jordan and The university in a massive civil suit?

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Suit's been filed, at least by some of the victims. It's rolling along at the usual glacial pace.

Driftwood and franticscribe like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So ... the best is still yet to come, Kimberly?

Webster likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

I'm not. They're more mature than MAGA.

Then again, so are the flies that seem to get near Pence and SPC.

9. Sam Mills 51

Give those flies credit. Until MAGA, they know sh_t when they see it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Woody Long likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As @Michael_ Gee said, it's been filed and moving slowly. tOSU has settled with about half of the victims, which extend well beyond the wrestling room. But the lawsuits weren't filed until 2018/2019 after everything came to light when a wrestler alleged abuse back in the 80s and tOSU conducted an extensive investigation that found, among other things, that coaches were aware and didn't take any action. The filing of a lawsuit more than 20 years after the abuse stopped created a whole host of statute of limitations issues, which the plaintiffs have been able to overcome but that didn't happen completely until this year when the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear tOSU's appeal of a Sixth Circuit decision that allowed the cases to move forward. At this point, we should be getting close to an actual trial on the issues and related to that, I have to imagine tOSU is trying to work out a settlement to avoid trial. The earlier settlements were for much, much less ($60M) than what Michigan ($500M), Michigan State ($490M) and USC ($852M) have paid out for their sex abuse scandals involving athletes.

I don't think Jordan was named individually as a defendant in any of the lawsuits, though I could be wrong on that.

The thing about Jordan and the sex abuse scandal makes me incredibly irate. My old man, who watches Fox News about 12 hours a day, called me up to say "Hur, dee, dur, aren't you excited that a former wrestler is going to be the Speaker of the House?" Now I know he's needling me, because it's what he likes to do, and he knows I love wrestling, but he had ZERO clue about Jordan's complicity in the sex abuse scandal. None. As bad as at is that Jordan turned a blind eye to sex abuse in the locker room - and that is horrendous on any level - the thing that really pisses me off is how when Mike DiSabato, an OSU wrestler in the late 80s, came forward with the initial allegations that led to all of this being uncovered, Jordan called up DiSabato's brother, Adam, who also wrestled at OSU, and asked him to publicly disavow his brother in some ham-handed effort to cut the scandal off at the knees. Asking a man to disavow his brother on something like that is so incredibly low in my book. Instead Adam corroborated his brother's story, over and over.

Hermes, OscarMadison, Slacker and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted