1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, that ain't a JDAM. Those cars would be all over the place had anything larger than an old Iranian rocket exploded there.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I've seen more damage from a five-gallon gas can catching fire. In fact, that's exactly what it looks like.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, like you know what the after-effects of military munitions looks like!?!

:D

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. three_bags_full

upload_2023-10-18_16-31-31.jpeg

This is the hole a 155mm howitzer leaves. That’s the smallest round Israel could’ve gotten that deep into Gaza. And that is possible only using rocket assisted propulsion rounds, which I’m not sure they have.

A 500-pound JDAM would have left those cars unrecognizable.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

They almost always pick up on and expand on something reported elsewhere. Not sure when the last time I saw something reported on a show like 60 minutes that wasn't a pickup from print/online.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

As a former reporter in a small TV market, I feel your pain. ;)

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  9. three_bags_full

Meh. I'm not an artilleryman, by any stretch of the imagination, but I've seen some big holes in the ground, and that ain't one of 'em.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on the quality of the work in print. I saw this story both in The Atlantic, and on 60 Minutes.

The Atlantic consistently turns out material that is worthy of being picked up, and has become my preferred outlet for news/analysis concerning anything of import, particularly wars and/or politics. If everyone read it, this country would be a lot better informed and have a much greater understanding of many admittedly tough, complex issues. And even if readers wind up not understanding everything, what they see would likely still be relatable, and readers more empathetic, because The Atlantic usually puts a face on said issues/stories.

This story is a prime example.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/10/18/gaza-hospital-blast-information-war-israel/

Hamas did not score a significant information-warfare victory until Tuesday’s explosion at al-Ahli Hospital. The Hamas-controlled Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza immediately blamed the blast on an Israeli airstrike and claimed that 500 civilians had been killed. This “breaking news” was immediately, and credulously, picked up by Western news media. (BBC alert: “Hundreds of people have been killed in an Israeli strike on a hospital in Gaza, according to Palestinian officials.”) Even U.S. allies such as Turkey and Saudi Arabia stridently denounced the purported Israeli airstrike. The leaders of the Palestinian Authority, Egypt and Jordan canceled a planned meeting with President Biden. Angry protesters marched everywhere from Beirut to Baghdad.

Draft saved Draft deleted