1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Step No. 1 should be to turn on Hamas, a terrorist organization that uses them as human shields. Israel hasn't done right by those people, either, but they don't use them for cannon fodder.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I alone . . .

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Another hypothesis -- “There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit” -- that nobody EVER seems to want to put to the test.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True true.

I think Sen. Collins in this case was willing to remain in the background during the first wave of coverage. You don't really see any mention of him until days later. And then he's in paragraph 11.

Part of my annoyance here is with the liberal media for having foregrounded DeSantis! DeSantis! DeSantis! as the single hand on the throttle when it was pretty obviously an operation with lots of moving parts.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Why would they do that when Israel has shown them time and again that moderation gets them nowhere?

GENEVA (6 April 2023) – A UN expert today condemned the violent incursions by Israeli forces into the Haram Al-Sharif compound and the attacks on Palestinian worshippers at Al-Aqsa Mosque on Wednesday.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

Either that or he is saying they should, which is reprehensible.

8. Mr._Graybeard

I would say that Israel's heavy hand has kept Hamas viable as a ruling power in Gaza.

9. Mr._Graybeard

10. outofplace

You aren't telling us things most of us don't know. These people are in a horrible situation, one forced on them by Hamas, Israel, and Egypt. This situation is a response to Hamas, which has a stated goal of wiping Israel off the map, so saying the Palestinians should turn against the terrorists makes sense.

None of the struggles of the Palestinians justify terrorist attacks that target and slaughter civilians. If you don't get that, kindly go fuck yourself.

11. Mr._Graybeard

Nobody's hands are clean in this. Israel has killed lots of civilians. It's a religious war, and they can be particularly nasty.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Years ago I spent a semester in Israel for a graduate journalism project. It gave me the opportunity to travel all over the country as well as the West Bank, Gaza and southern Lebanon. One event that I can recall is when the mayor of Nablus on the West Bank had his legs blown off in a car bomb attack by Israeli extremists.

Yitzhak Rabin, himself a celebrated general who led Israel to victory in the Six-Day War, tried to bring peace to his nation as prime minister. An Israeli cut that effort short by shooting him down.

Unfortunately, IMO Israel has taken an extremist route under Netanyahu. I've come to doubt that peaceful coexistence with the Palestinians is high on Israel's agenda.

MOREOVER, as a 70-year observer of human nature, I've noticed that bullied people may become bullies themselves when given the opportunity. Those who have been oppressed should take care that they don't become oppressors themselves. I'm afraid many Israelis (not all, certainly) have fallen into that trap.

Draft saved Draft deleted