1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's pitching in the 21st century. Baseball being baseball, don't be surprised if the series comes down to Walker in the top of the 12th or soemthing.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I remember 1980 very clearly.

Batman likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well that escalated quickly

4. Michael_ Gee

I was there. Rookie reporter for the Boston Phoenix. Because there's such a thing as karma in the press box, I was seated between Roger Angell and Larry Whiteside of the Globe. So for the greatest event of my fan life, I of course could show not the slightest twitch of emotion.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sewald's been lights out for AZ the entire postseason and just about the whole month of September.

The Mariners missed the postseason by one game, and had four blown saves after trading Sewald for a couple of utility players.

And people wonder why Seattle fans are cynical about their ownership/front office.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Without prejudice, because I don't think it'll be much different if the Phillies win tomorrow, I'm pretty sure Diamondbacks-Rangers could set yet another record for lowest Series ratings ever.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Rangers are opening up a can of Whoop Ass on the Stros. Didn't have that on my bingo card.

8. Spartan Squad

It would be weird not having a team that I’m personally rooting to lose since 2015.

2016: curse of the goat to continue
    2017: LA
    2018; LA
    2019: cheating Astros
    2020: LA
    2021: Cheating Astros
    2022: both teams

9. Spartan Squad

How about no one winning a home game?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Phillies-Astros would fetch great ratings. Honestly, the only thing that's catching ratings now is football. With no Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers, the WS has no chance with the casual viewer.

11. Michael_ Gee

I agree in the macro. But Houston and Philadelphia are real big markets. Dallas-Ft. Worth and Phoenix are pretty big markets. Baseball is a regional draw now. Whoever wins tomorrow night, the loser will have no interest in the World Series. Of course I want the Phillies to win. But part or me is saying, won't it be nice to go to bed at 10?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or as they would say at Baker Bowl,"The Phillies use Lifebuoy, but they still stink."

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted