1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What was funniest was the crowd. There was a kinda subdued "oooh" to the question, and then Rodney came back and crushed him with no delay to think.

It was obvious he'd heard that one before and he just nailed him. The crowd completely fell out. This was forty years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

garrow and Liut like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, one gets a lot of practice at doing that kind of thing.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmm. In the ICU, hovering close to death, almost a week. After COVID, people know that's not good. Days go on. People are bracing for bad news.
    But wait! She's making a "remarkable recovery!"
    Three or four days go by after this "remarkable recovery," so things must be almost ok, right?
    NOOOOO! Next she's had "a scary setback!!" Back to ICU, I guess?
    Now one day later.... she's going home. In "recovery mode."
    Hmmmmm.

At this point I will note that I don't think any actual public statement on her condition has actually been made by any medical professional at any point.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    BartonK likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

Remember the Santa who "visited" the dying child a few years back? Why am I reminded of him?

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ex-Olympian Retton out of ICU, home recovering

I find it bizzare that you can have this story and not include the hospital she was at or even WHAT CITY she is in right now. The lack of corroboration from others in the gymnastics world also kind of odd. I STILL don't know what the deal was with Jamie Foxx, and I thought that was very weird. Might have been a drug overdose - who knows.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Many people are saying these could be vaccine side effects. [/s]

HanSenSE and poindexter like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Also interesting that the AP isn’t the author. Reuters must not have editors or standards. At the very least, the story should say, “The family’s social media post didn’t indicate where Retton was hospitalized or where she is now recuperating.”

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reuters pulls its sports coverage nowadays from an outfit that pays people to sit on the couch and watch games. Glorified aggregators getting paid $8 an hour. Might as well rely on UPI sports coverage.

Have we heard from her ex-husband throughout this? He’s a public figure. I haven’t seen even a milquetoast “this sucks, I wish her well” quote.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or the consequences of not being vaccinated in the first place.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

It was on the Internet ... IT MUST BE TRUE!

Draft saved Draft deleted