1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Film and TV appearances[edit]

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I swear some of you fuckin’ vultures ain’t gonna be satisfied unless the New York Post gets photos of MLR lying in ICU intubated with an oxygen line runnin’ into her nose.

Yeesh.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

roll her old bones on over here, and I'll conjure up some sympathy. You know that's school policy.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Mary Lou Retton on line one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't often actually LOL . . . but I just did.

Octave likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I should just close the laptop for the day if I of all people got you to laugh (with a big assist from @Octave). :D Of course, when have I ever done that?

As for Mary Lou, this ties together to another common topic here: News deserts. A generation ago, the hospitalization of a former Olympian and one-time poster girl for the good ol' U S of A would have been tracked & chronicled by both her local outlets and the national wire services or papers of record. Now no one's got any time or resources anywhere so the best-case scenario is everyone just taking the word of her daughter via social media and believing the family is being selectively private re: the details b/c they had to say something in order to raise funds for their insurance-less matriarch. The worst-case scenario is, as @wicked noted, the '80s continuing to come home to roost.

BartonK, sgreenwell, Octave and 2 others like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can't believe that the fucking Enquirer, of all places, wouldn't be sitting in front of a hospital every day if she was in one — or in front of her house, if she's being treated at home. I suppose some stringer hoping to sell video to TMZ, too.

That's why this smells like 10-day-old cow shit.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How much would the Inquirer pay for a pic of her in a hospital bed?

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

That's another thing. Does the audience for the scuzzball tabloids even know who Mary Lou is? How many 50-somethings are watching TMZ? How many gossip hounds even know the Enquirer still exists? This is where we need the Weekly World News. They'd get to the bottom of Bat Boy's torrid affair with Mary Lou.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always check the tabloids at the grocery store to figure who their fixations are that week. The Bidens clearly don't move the needle. Do they even hang with celebrites the way the Clintons, Obamas and Trump did? No big blowouts on the WH Lawn or anything.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Enquirer has any readers younger than 50. Mary Lou is in their wheelhouse.

Anyone 40 and younger is all TMZ. And it’s because they’re everywhere with the website and plenty of clips on social and that stupid TV show.

Draft saved Draft deleted