1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Such a jackoff response.

Just contract the teams so the Yankees or Red Sox play the Dodgers or Cubs every year.

FileNotFound and JC like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It might have dulled -- not killed, dulled -- the mystique of the World Series. But for the opportunity to see the rare matchups during the regular season, even if it's the Reds vs. the Tigers, it's been worth the trade-off.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the playoffs having been "diluted" by adding more teams. My baseball season wasn't always a joy to follow with the way the Cubs played, but even as basically a .500 team every game was interesting until the last week of the season, and they had stretches where they played great and made a huge run up the standings. That's great fun from Spring Training in March all the way through September. And now a team they were fighting for a playoff spot is in the World Series, which now gives me hope this offseason more than ever about the "Just make it into the tournament" aspect of baseball.

Hit, and you have a chance to advance in the tournament. Don't hit, and chances are you won't. That's OK with me. That's baseball.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

IDK. What is the difference between the World Series and the Super Bowl, which also used to match teams from leagues that didn't play each other in the regular season?

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hope baseball survives.

Gutter, doctorquant and swingline like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

People are still whining about interleague play? It’s been like three decades. It’s over. That train has sailed.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How is this matchup any worse than the last two times the Rangers made the World Series?

90-win Rangers vs. 92-win Giants in 2010
    96-win Rangers vs. 90-win Cardinals in 2011

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Super bummed I won't get to see Clayton Kershaw get lit up again this World Series. These new rules totally stink!

FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, I had forgotten about that. Hoskins can run hot and cold, too, but one more big bat could have made a big difference.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m hard-pressed to find two more divergent playoff series from one player:

— NLDS: .467/.529/1.267
    — NLCS: .042/.111/.167

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Completely, devastatingly lost. He had no clue at the plate over the past week.

If you have Hoskins, you give up the Rojas defense, live with Schwarber in left field and DH Hoskins. Plug in Rojas for late-game defense as a matter of course.

That is quite a batting-order upgrade. And as the nation saw last night, their bench was not exactly Murderer's Row in hiding.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hey, remember when baseball was the most popular sport in America?

Hmm, neither do I.

Draft saved Draft deleted