1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As I said, not the first time.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I saw this after my previous post. I get your skepticism, but would still caution patience. I don't know about this history so I can't say what did or didn't happen (or what the risks or motivations are of the substance), so I'll reserve judgment until I learn more. Thanks for the links.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I honor your right to be angry. But I very respectfully disagree.

What an artillery round or a smartbomb or a hellfire missile do to human flesh renders all distinctions or questions of intention moot.

Too many will die for nothing, resolving nothing.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

White phosphorous does light civilians on fire.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Exactly.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did this "found, tried and executed the responsible leaders we could get our hands on..." come about by happenstance? Did we trick them by asking them down to the courthouse to accept their lottery prize? Or did we unleash terrible violence, which sometimes claimed civilian lives, as a means to the noble ends?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First we asked them, "Do you build rockets?"

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It lights everybody on fire. It isn't being used to specifically target civilians.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You will pardon me for not respecting a thought process that doesn't distinguish between the reality that civilians are caught in the crossfire in war and deliberately targeting and slaughtering them.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you attack a place known to contain civilians, is that deliberate?

If the US drops a smart bomb to take out an Al Qaeda No. 3, but the smart bomb happens to take out 40 civilians, including kids, because the No. 3 was in a public market, is that OK?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's exactly the point. If you use WP, it burns whoever it falls on within an area of up to a couple of hundred yards.. Hamas, IDF, civilians, dogs, buildings. You *can't* target with it. You can aim and fire, but once it's out of the canister it goes wherever. It is the very definition of an indiscriminate weapon. If it hits you on the arm it will burn until it falls out the other side of your arm.

WP is a vicious weapon. Its use in an area populated by civilians is hard to justify. It is not a banned weapon, but it's very nature is indiscriminate. Typically artillery shells either use a bursting charge to spread it or it is released as cluster bomblets which spread and explode. In bombs it used generally in cluster bomb form as well. Targeting is limited to having it start out in the area you want to hit - from there it does what it does.

There is a reason that the U.S. is still stained by the firebombing of Dresden seventy years later.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted