1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh you and your details ...

dixiehack and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

All certainly true. I just had a small measure of hope the Speaker would NOT be somebody who actively worked to overthrow the government. That detail is kind of important to me.

And the fact he's completely out of step with the American people on gay rights and abortion.

Other than that... he's still an asshole.

maumann and wicked like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. New Congress sworn in on Jan. 3, 2025. Certification on Jan. 6, 2025.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that, but my point is, it will be difficult for Johnson to be effective at assholery.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They tried to overthrow a presidential election. Who says they won't try to overturn congressional results at the state level? The Trumpers have done well at taking over local election offices.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. MileHigh

Yes, but the discussion was about who oversees the certification if Republicans lose the House in November 2024.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's 435 elections. And while Trump has a large and devoted following, not so many folks are going to put themselves in legal jeopardy for Generic MAGA Congressman X. They probably don't know X's name. Most people don't know their representative.
    One more point. One reason the 2020 conspiracy got as far as it did was that the chief conspirator was in charge of the Executive Branch. That won't be the case next year.

8. MileHigh

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mike Johnson's hookers and uncouth foibles on parade in 3 ... 2 ...

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The House has about 20 swing districts anymore. Get local MAGA types in charge of a few House elections, and you have issues.

That's why it's important to do everything you can to win every seat. I'm not optimistic about the neck-stomping needed by these candidates. Fuck Hillary Clinton in 2016. Her shitty campaign is the reason we're here. I don't care about Comey. It shouldn't have been that close at that point.

I'm in a sour mood and I'm taking it out on SJ today. Hence the Chicken Little routine.

Draft saved Draft deleted