1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker retires.

He may have been the only personality who could keep the Astros going forward after the trash can...

Not an Astros fan, but that will be a big loss for them.

Neutral Corner and HanSenSE like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The World Series teams combined for a .537 winning percentage during the regular season. That's a record low for the Fall Classic.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

By how far?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If the Phillies hadnt choked, we wouldnt have heard any complaints about the World Series.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

HOF?

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I say yes.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not much. In 1973, the Mets (82-79) and A's (94-68) combined for a .5449 winning %.

maumann and doctorquant like this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This World Series isn't too exciting on paper, but I'll watch a lot of it because I'm a baseball fan. I guess go Rangers since they've never won it?

But I don't think it's arguable that this was a great year for the sport. The rules changes worked better than the league could have possibly dreamed. The games were shorter and snappier. Attendance took a big jump.

I've been guilty in the past of giving too much credence to ratings. Sure, they matter. But comparing 30-40 years ago, hell, 10 years ago, to now is like comparing apples and Volkswagens. Just a completely different landscape.

Baseball is in a much better place than it has been for a long time. Now, please let the Mets not suck next year.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yes. he is eligible for the 2026 Committee Ballot. He will be on there with Francona and Bochy, assuming he would retire before the 2026 season.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Every manager with more wins than him is in the HOF.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Dusty's a lock. No question.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If there was any question at all -- and there shouldn't be -- a 19-year playing career with very solid numbers (almost 2,000 hits) would be a tipping point.

Draft saved Draft deleted