1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Florida summer: Can take the dogs out just wearing normal clothes. Air conditioning will cool a hot car interior in few seconds.

New England winter: Can't take dogs out without first putting on layers (and maybe special footwear). Walking can be dangerous. Heating takes several minutes to warm a cold car interior.

Yeah, I'll take the former.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have to go to South Carolina tomorrow. The temp is to be in the 80s.
    Last Saturday, I was in Virginia, and it was in the 50s.
    Welcome to the South.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One last bit of Indian summer here. Highs in the 80s through Monday, then rain and temps in the 50s and 60s next week. Makes sense, cruising into November and what not.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This definitely isn't universal. I'm not doing shit outside in the Texas summer heat unless I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, or doing something really simple like walking from my office to the car. Unless its before the sun comes up, or the dog decides he's only going out to pee, I'm sweatin' through that walk.

5. BTExpress

Yeah, you're sweating. But you don't have to go through any ritual or preparation just to do a minor errand. I often need to take my dogs out right before I go to work. And that's at 1 p.m. A hot summer is just, well, less complicated than a cold winter.

Also don't have to worry about freezing pipes.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I call bullshit.

I should add, in a Cali summer without the humidity, if it's approaching or just north of 90, it will quickly cool down (definitely not in a few seconds). If we're near or above 100 and your car has been sitting out, forget a few seconds. I have a grey car and a white car, they both bake inside when the car is off.

7. BTExpress

I'm pretty much talking about the driver, who can have cold air blowing on his face the second he presses the button.

Those sitting in the back, your temperature may vary. :)

Plus, you also have window shades available so that the car isn't as oppressive in the first place.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I ran the Richmond Marathon last year and it was 80 degrees. On Nov. 12.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Florida has shit that will eat you and your dog if given a chance.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Many years ago I knew a guy who ran an automotive place specializing in air conditioning in Lake Worth.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New England winter is mostly a pain in the ass, with occasional day or more disruptions due to snowstorms. The only real dangerous weather are the freezing rain/ice storms, which are fortunately rare. But I do note that there's no Big Nor'easter thread on this board every winter, while there's an Atlantic Hurricane thread every summer. Weather here may frequently suck, but it's seldom life-threatening.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fall in the Mid-South is finally arriving. 84 today. Rain all weekend. Lows in the low 30s by Tuesday. At least this evening will be enjoyable.

Draft saved Draft deleted