1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

… because Adam Wainwright picked the best possible reason ever to retire.

Puppies for everybody!

TigerVols and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This is on PBS tonight.
    The War on Disco - American Experience

Tonight at 9/8c

The War on Disco explores the culture war that erupted over the spectacular rise of disco music. Originating in underground Black and gay clubs, disco had unseated rock as America’s most popular music by the late 1970s. But many diehard rock fans viewed disco, with its repetitive beat and culture that emphasized pleasure, as shallow and superficial.

Tune-in tonight at 9/8c on PBS to learn what happened when this culture war came to an explosive head on July 12, 1979.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Caught the Yogi Berra documentary that finally came to Netflix (and Prime I think).

Enjoyed it. Tight 90 minutes. Helmed by his granddaughter so obviously a love letter.

Perhaps more Nick Swisher and then anyone would want, but good nonetheless.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As we've probably discussed, the Mike Veeck documentary on Netflix, "The Saint of Second Chances," has a good bit about Disco Demolition Night.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

MTM likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Would have been a terror as an every-day DH, especially in the all-or-nothing offensive era we're in now. Even though he was a liability in the outfield, Thomas still put up 37-plus career WAR.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn. Frank Howard. He was front and center in some of my first MLB trips with my local Little League.

I recall that there was real concern that he would pin an outfielder against the wall someday with one of his line drives. Those exit velocities would have been something to see.

RIP.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When Howard played right field, between innings he would exchange warmup throws with the left fielder.

11. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Frank Howard was a hitting coach with the Brewers when I first starting following baseball. He may have been third base coach too. A large man, but kind of a gentle giant type if memory serves. The greatest of the reborn Washington Senators. RIP.

maumann likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Funny sidebar. I always heard and believe that he was indeed a gentle giant. But one of the first Little League bus trips we took was to RFK Stadium to see an Orioles-Senators doubleheader. And sure enough, first inning Howard hits into a double play, a bang-bang play at first. He went absolutely berserk, had to be held back from going after the first-base umpire, and was thrown out for both games.

dixiehack, Michael_ Gee and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted