1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 -- Primetime blues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 24, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, that makes some sense. Good background.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Dear University of Houston (and all other schools):
    Thank you for continuing to provide our league with a farm system at no cost to us. Now please refrain from wearing colors that look kinda sorta like our teams.
    Sincerely,
    The NFL

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen Steelers fans in those stupid bumblebee throwbacks, but not many and I certainly don't want one.

[​IMG]

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I saw a guy wearing one of those All-Star Game jerseys from Seattle - an absolute travesty. They really need to go back to teams just wearing their home or road (or even alternates) at the MidSummer Classic.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh’s bumblebees are fantastic.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Their defense appears to be — at least against struggling offenses like the Giants, Cardinals and Browns (they also did pretty well against the Bengals in a close road loss). And Seattle just picked up NYG defensive tackle Leonard Williams today for some draft picks.

Geno Smith and the offense have struggled at times, especially with several O-line injuries. We’ll see how Seattle does against SF on Thanksgiving night.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How come after field goals and extra points, kickers and holders don't run to the end zone to perform a pre-rehearsed dance?

Just such a huge, huge missing element of the game.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's probably the worst (reasonably) common injury in football, and it often occurs without contact from another player. One of the great ironies in the game.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Correct. You are legally required to protect them. It's a term and condition of getting one in the first place.
    I think the operative phrase in these things is "confusingly similar."

2muchcoffeeman and Tighthead like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The University of Houston, I suspect, held a trademark to the name "Houston," at least in athletic terms, well before Bud Adams arrived in 1960 with the AFL franchise which is now the Tennessee Titans. Maybe the university should sue the Titans for infringement on the name "Houston."

At some point there should be a specific provision of copyright law that any professional sports franchise which plays in a facility constructed in any part at public expense, must unconditionally forfeit any copyright claim to any nicknames, logos, colors or trademarks, if they move the franchise out of the metropolitan area.

You wanna sell "Brooklyn Dodgers" jerseys? Maybe you should have kept the team in Brooklyn.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You get public money for your stadium or arena, open your fucking books. Obviously, I would never vote to give any sports team public money. If you can’t make it with your obscene profits, too fucking bad. You get to go out of business like my bar and grill I opened with my lotto winnings.

Note: I have not won a lotto or opened a bar and grill.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's a windmill I've been tilting for 50 years -- to make public financing of sports stadiums flat out illegal -- but not only is that horse out of the barn, the barn done burned to the ground.

But I think a "Sports Heritage Protection Act" as I outline above, in which professional sports franchises which play in facilities financed IN ANY PART by public money, forfeit all copyright ownership of nicknames, colors, logos, trademarks, etc etc., if they move the franchise to another location, could gain some bipartisan support.

The only possible argument against such a bill would be "you are being mean to billionaires."

Draft saved Draft deleted