1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 -- Primetime blues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sort of the same as digging into the bottom of your bag for that Pinnacle range ball you found on the course when having to clear a fair bit of water over a par 3. Not wasting a ProV1 on that!

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Niners get Chase Young; hopefully this stud stays healthy (like McCaffery).

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Young hasn't been a stud for some time. He's maddening to watch. Takes too many plays off.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I have nothing to back this up but gut feeling, but my gut feeling is the 49ers of the Shanahan era are going to be like the '80s Yankees: Continually going for it and never getting there,

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If the Bears don't sign Sweat, Poles should be fired into the sun. But I think they will.

Also, I'm OK with the price. The odds are more likely than not that the pick the Bears sent to Washington will produce a worse player than Montez Sweat.

TL;DR, I'd rather have Sweat even with the money than whatever DE Poles could have drafted at 35 or whatever it ends up being. I also completely get why Washington made the trade. Can't pay everyone on that line, they already paid Payne and they have a lot of other holes to fill too.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm happy they're constantly going for it; as a fan I'm not demanding a dynasty, just another taste of a SB win.

And BTW, its not like the 49ers are trading for Mel Hall/Rickey (he was good), signing and overpaying Claudell Washington, Whitson and Andy Messersmith. McCaffery/Hargrave/Young are much different.

7. Regan MacNeil

I'm just hoping a bunch of stories don't come out tomorrow about Sweat having issues in Washington like Claypool in Pittsburgh.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I never got that sense from following the team.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was it such a surprise with Claypool? I imagine fans in Chicago might not have realized, but it wasn't surprising if you had paid attention to him when he was with the Steelers. I never understood that trade for the Bears, but I'm certainly grateful.

10. Regan MacNeil

Not till after the fact. He wasn't really a household name.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the Sanders era Lions unis, particularly the pants - was the grey last night supposed to be "primer grey" as a nod to the Motor City?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Because Garrappolo is fragile. Saints did it with Brees. Oregon State had a guy last year, Jack Colletto - kind of a Taysom Hill type - usually he ran a QB keeper out of the gun, but sometimes he threw it. Yes you expect it, but if you have a guy who can actually run or throw...

Draft saved Draft deleted