1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thanks.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has there been a recent (5 years or less) deep dive into Buffett? An interview where he looks back? Or do I need to buy the book?

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A Pirate Looks at 50 is his life in his own words but obviously outside the 5-year timeframe.
    A Good Life All the Way was written fairly recently, I think, and pretty good.
    There have been a number of unauthorized books released since his death, and the general consensus is they are crap... a mixture of Wiki and AI trying for a cash grab.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s still a damn crime Jimmy isn’t in the R&RHOF. How many concert tickets did he need to sell?

Driftwood and Huggy like this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on. Beyond the concert tickets and album sales and the massive brand he created around his lifestyle how many artists has he influenced, those who have drafted off his heat, the laid back beach bum, beach bar guy? Loads of them.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be argued he wasn't really a "rock" artist, but if they're going to start worrying about that, they'll have to throw out 3/4 of the people already in there.

dixiehack, Inky_Wretch and Huggy like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He probably had more influence on country, but the guy did it for 50 years. Put him in. I'm sure he has enough friends who are already in who could throw their weight around. I figured every client of Irving Azoff got a free pass anyway.

8. Driftwood

I've listened to Equal Strain from start to finish three times now, and it's a good send off for him.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If they can open the doors for rappers and Willie Nelson …

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

… and Dolly Parton …

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Hell, Willie Nelson alone takes a back seat to Jimmy Buffett in any "Rock and Roll" vote.

12. Driftwood

I guess Jimmy was never meant for glitter rock-n-roll.
    It'll be alright.

Draft saved Draft deleted