1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I actually feel bad for farmers and businesses who need them, no matter the price.

My dad recently said he’s kicking himself he traded in his pickup a few years ago. He could now get what he paid for it.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Most of my hunting buddies loved all the suburban pickup and 4x4 owners who would buy those fancy trucks and never so much as take them on a dirt road for fear of stone chips or paint scratches. They'd buy them three to five years old, let someone else eat the depreciation, and make out like bandits. Hell, a thirty year old rusty shitwagon pickup will still bring a couple of grand if it runs and will make a functional work truck.

wicked and Driftwood like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I bought my son a 20(-ish)-year-old F150 at a local charity auction just before his senior year in high school. Paid $1,500 for it and nursed it back into functional health (it had some DTCs relating to emissions, etc., that I was able to eliminate). Right after he graduated from college, I was able to fetch $800 for it. I had to put a little money in it over those years, mind you -- eBay is a wonderful tool for owners of old clunkers -- but I feel as if I came out ahead.

I should specify that I feel I came out ahead on the truck. The car I bought for him after I sold the truck? The car he wrecked a month later? And then wrecked again mere months after I brought it back into reasonably good order? Not so much.

P.S. The lawsuit that followed wreck No. 2 was finally done away with last week. I think it was settled for a relatively modest amount ... not enough to buy even a nice used car, but enough to pay at least a goodly portion of the plaintiff's chiropractic bills.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sticker price I just saw for a base model farm/fleet F-150 with a V-6 was $33,000.

Oof.

5. Neutral Corner

Been there, done that. Both as the teenage driver and the father, heh.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. doctorquant

Just think ... with even a modicum of care that'll be a useful tool for someone for decades. Now compare that to what a year in People's Studies at Swarthwardmorevard College will run you (and what you'll have as a result)!

Azrael and maumann like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hey, underwater basketweaving is a skill that takes a lifetime to master!

swingline and doctorquant like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the trade in value of my 2011 Ranger is $10-12K. For my wife's 2017 Escape, $5K.
    Go figure.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Stupid Escape clause. (And I now own a 2012 and 2018, so the joke's on me.)

Driftwood and doctorquant like this.
  10. doctorquant

The later-model Escape's aren't on a Ranger chassis, right?

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I doubt it. She had a 2011, and it was the same as my truck.
    She liked it a whole lot better than the '17.

12. Neutral Corner

I think the issue is more used pickup value vs used mediocre SUV.

Draft saved Draft deleted