1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

A sampling of how it's going with Trump as a witness, from CNN's live blog:

After another short aside in an answer from Donald Trump, Judge Arthur Engoron told attorney Chris Kise to control the former president or he will be dismissed from the stand.

Asked by Kevin Wallace of the NY attorney general's office if a statement about 40 Wall Street's $550 million evaluation is accurate, Trump referred to the legal issue of the statute of limitations.

"Five year statute of limitation. You’re still on 2014," Trump said.

Engoron wasn't pleased: "Mr. Kise that was a simple yes or no question. We got another speech. I beseech you to control him if you can. If you can’t I will. I will I excuse him and draw every negative inference that I can."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At least you have caught up to the fact that he has stated that he won't run against Biden or Harris. Actually, I said that I thought he would be at least as good. The primary reason I think he would be better than Biden is that I think Biden is too old. (Trump is too old for the job, too.) Harris hasn't done well as a candidate in the past, which is a primary reason why I think Newsom would have a better chance to win if he ran in 2024.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm glad it's not televised, from what I've seen on CNN. Wouldn't want this shitshow turned into another "woe is me" moment for TFG.

garrow, Neutral Corner and wicked like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Oof, another clown

[​IMG]

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The GOP is as bad as it's ever been.

But of course I wasn't posting about the GOP; I was responding to a post on the Democrats' poor messaging leading to poor poll numbers.

So had I been posting about Liz Cheney and the GOP, I would have posted about that.

But I wasn't. So I didn't.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The Democrats' "poor messaging" is rooted in the fact that they deal with reality.

The GOP takes high gas prices and say, "SEE JOE BIDEN IS DESTROYING OUR OIL INDUSTRY!". The Democrats answer with reality, that American oil production has never been higher and prices are set by the global market.

It's much easier to sell bumper stickers vs. difficult realities.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The GOP has never billed itself as a big tent.

The Democratic Party has.

I'm curious as to the endgame of your rhetoric and thought process. Is it nihilism? Well, if the voting public doesn't see how bad the GOP is, let it burn! Is that the ideological endgame?

Again, the Republicans are awful...and polling suggests they could win anyway.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan, 4/1/1967

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Respective to the link I shared, the muddled messaging relates to a moral issue surrounding foreign policy.

Did the morally relativistic reaction - - on college campuses, in many American and European cities - of Hamas' terrorist attack surprise you? Did it surprise Democratic leaders? I think that's what folks are working through.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

And here we are with exactly what I said - that Dems message based on reality and the GOP just get to spout whatever nonsense they want.

Dems: "Hamas is terrible, yet still - can we please try to kill as few Palestinian supporters as possible?"

GOP: "THEY'RE ANTI-SEMETIC!"

Any sort of nuance is a more difficult sell. But as a self-professed Christian, I'm sure you're conflicted in the space between, "kill Hamas" and "let's not kill innocent people," and so you probably struggle with expressing that sentiment, too.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Were you awake for any of the 80s or Bush 41 in the 90s? Or do you just think we’re this damn dumb?

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Whole lot of idiotic fixation on one poll. Other polls have Biden winning comfortably. And right now it’s 2023. They’re ALL fucking meaningless.

They might be meaningless in October 2024 as well. The polling industry is absolutely broken.

But by all means, continue to masturbate over it. Just be sure to report it to Maga Mike Johnson.

Draft saved Draft deleted