1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They already have their plan figured out for state or civil convictions.
    Fatfuck will, of course, pardon himself from any federal convictions. He will order all investigations or legal actions against him still in progress when he retakes office shut down.

As far as state crimes or civil suits are concerned, they will operate on the presumption that Fatfuck's role as commander in chief of the nation's military forces supersedes everything, and any sanctions, penalties or other impediments imposed by any individual state would be interfering with his ability to function as CInC, and as such he would be within his authority to order the collective military to take any actions necessary to remove that interference.

This would go to the Supreme Court, of course.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

it's all very unfair.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jennifer Lawrence gifs are all of a sudden extremely popular here.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What are the real problems? Even if we agree "extreme rightism" won't solve them, will progressivism?

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

For starters …

- The water supply
    - Climate change
    - Disconnecting our economy from the whims of oil dictators
    - The out-of-reach American dream

I don’t know if anyone will solve any of the problems, but the only thing the GOP offers is denial and when that fails, a tax cut and more guns.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Biden's policies are more progressive (IMO) than you probably think they are, but I'm speaking more to the party around him - and especially young voters.

It's possible I'm wrong about the political trajectory of left-leaning folks in their 20s and 30s. It appears to be two generations with very different - much more negative - ideas about America than Gen X or Boomers. And not solely because of Trumpism - or primarily because of it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We'd disagree on the real-world solutions to No. 2, to the point where the GOP, by simply inhabiting the position of stubbornly clinging to the status quo, is better than where I think we could go on it.

As for No. 4, I'm not sure the American dream is the same for most folks born in America. I think many Americans are quite happy to not own much of anything so long as they have a phone, a laptop and some means of getting where they want to go.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Medicare for all would be a wonderful thing. IF you disagree please tell me how many people you know, who when they turned 65, say "Damn, I am moving from my private insurance plan to Medicare". Why did these people think this?

Because I am still waiting to meet someone who said that. You need not provide any examples of people desperately waiting until they are 65 to receive Medicare. I know a lot of people who that applies to.

Also, let's say you are someone who received a modest, middle class salary at a stable job. You have performed your duties in a very satisfactory manner for many years. One day you are called into a meeting in HR and told to "Thanks for your service, now get your ass out of the building". HR surely did not ask about the health of your family before they asked for your badge. What if you really needed that health insurance for someone in your family and you are looking at expensive COBRA payments.

Would these people have been better off under a Medicare for all plan?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well that settles it, then.

franticscribe and garrow like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Did you know the Navy has been briefing the President on the impacts of climate change since the 1950s?

You at least agree it’s happening, right?

Can a GOP hopeful say “Man-made climate change is real,” and still win the GOP primary?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do agree it's happened - and is happening. The quality of life and standard of living is up all over the world, too.

I don't think electric cars, wind farms or vegetarianism relate much to the solutions.

Draft saved Draft deleted