1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Five million Californians “will sit out”?

You, sir, can fuck off.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having reached the stage of life where the obituary section has become more than an interesting read (since a kid I've thought that), I will note that the bulk of voters dying off aren't even Boomers, they're older. Both Biden and Trump are not technically Boomers.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's not what I said.

AT ALL. Not even close.

1. About 5 million TOTAL will sit out, or whatever. I'm guessing Biden's total will be about 76 million compared to his 81 million in 2020.
    2. Most of Biden's 7 million popular vote edge came in California, which he won by 5 million. That state is locked in no matter what, and those 55 EVs are his.
    3. Once you consider the lower energy among voters in 2024 than in 2020 --- which saw all kinds of records smashed --- Biden may lose the popular vote IN THE OTHER 49 STATES because his 2 million popular vote edge in those other 49 states likely will evaporate.
    4. I see getting those extra 215 EVs (on top of California's 55) to be a problem. We're almost at a point where the sucky EV math demands that the Democratic candidate win the popular vote by 3-4 million. I don't see Biden doing that.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

That will give Drump’s undead corpse 30 percent. Still don’t see a path for him.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Nine days to the government shutdown, and I don’t have the various trial dates in front of me but it’s gonna be hard for Trump to build a movement while he’s on criminal trial in multiple jurisdictions.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think he was saying five million Biden voters nationwide will sit it out. The point of bringing up Biden's five million voter edge in California is showing one way that a popular vote advantage might not play out in the Electoral College.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As uninformed as many are, I do believe every American voter is capable of determining the difference between an election where the name Joe Biden is on the ballot and ones where it isn't, so I'm loath to project anything that happened last night onto 2024. I will note, however, my belief extends equally to the name Donald Trump.

MileHigh and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

At this point in the 2020 election cycle, the pandemic hadn’t even happened yet.

Get back to me in June.

SFIND and Liut like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A lot of kids in Africa are going to have a great Christmas with their new Youngkin for President and new “World Champion Diamondbacks” T-shirts.

melock, HanSenSE, garrow and 2 others like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Kansas is at the top of AP’s preseason basketball poll. We could save a lot of time and trouble if we just crown them as champions now.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But with the exception of 2004, when the GOP screamed that voting against Bush meant you hated America and hated the troops, the Dems have won the popular vote in every presidential election since 1988.

The aging electorate hasn’t helped Republicans.

Draft saved Draft deleted