1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not bad. Are they still trying to chase off their coach?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Was talking about the women. And, somehow, I think Wes Moore is safe. Just a guess.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I renounce myself. Confused on sports.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's gotta be the first time No. 1 and No. 2 lost in the first week right?

5. Sam Mills 51

Not sure. But either there's more parity in the women's game or the pollsters have no idea ... at least not yet.

6. Sam Mills 51

Understandable. No telling how many people read "Rivers leads N.C. State" and did the same thing.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think I count six schools in the AP Top 25 for both football and men’s rings. None more heartwarming than James Madison.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only five next week. :(

TigerVols likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As a former resident of the Valley and a long ago classmate of Mark Byington, I want the cockles of my heart to be warmed by JMU's success.

But every time I think about JMU, I get hung up on how much they charge every student ($1,100+ a semester) in student fees just for the athletic department and it makes me angry. JMU's rise is as emblematic of what is wrong with college sports as the PAC-12's collapse, or any of the myriad cheating scandals because of how they've done it.

2muchcoffeeman and hickory_smoke like this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

None of it is going to work out for them in the long run, either. There's never going to be a spot for them at the big boys table in football and Byington's teams always start fast and fade late. There's a pretty good chance they don't make any real postseason tournament in men's hoops.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JMU has an FBS football team, 21,000 students and an endowment of approximately $130 million. My alma mater has an FBS program, 4,181 students and a $3.3 billion endowment. FCS or not, I'd rather be us than them.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I always remembered tonight as being the “unofficial” opening tip-off for NCAA Basketball with the 24 hours of basketball.
    I miss that.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted