1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yet another silver bullet to take to the voters. "Gold Jerry, that's GOLD!!"

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Republicans are unapologetic fascists and MUST be DESTROYED, every last fukcing one of them.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cersei, save us!

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I was signing off as I happened to read that post, and suddenly thought I was still on the Hamas/Israel thread I'd just exited...

Seriously, what is the world coming to? And what is going on in this country?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What if … he’s senile?

In the wake of the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, former President Donald Trump was considered mentally unfit for office — by people closest to him. …

"You have covered Donald Trump a long time. Talk about his mental state," said anchor Joy Reid. "You write about the fact that Mike Pompeo, Steve Mnuchin, Betsy DeVos, at some point discussed the 25th Amendmentregarding Trump, that Mitch McConnell spearheaded a move to ban him from the inauguration. He threatened to run as a third-party candidate and had to be threatened not to do it. The 25th Amendment piece stands out to me. As your reporting would suggest, is Donald Trump fully there mentally?"

"I can't really make that judgment, but what I can tell you is people who have raised questions about whether or not he is fully there mentally have been the people closest to him," said (ABC correspondent Jonathan) Karl. "The people that have raised the alarms about what it would be if he came back are the people who are closest to him. And yes, in those hours after the January 6th attack, as they watched what he did and what he didn't do, while the United States Capitol was under assault by his own supporters, it was the people that were closest to him that were talking about whether or not they needed to remove him from office because he was mentally unstable, mentally unable to carry out the duties of the president."

"That is Pompeo and Mnuchin," Karl continued. "They had both denied it. There is sworn testimony acknowledging that those conversations did happen. They didn't go very far. They didn't have time to go far. Frankly, as you started to have people resign from the Cabinet, there were fewer people who would have voted for it. They were talking about it. It's not just those 25th Amendment conversations. I mean, you read that statement from an anonymous staffer. I think it's a very important statement. This was something that was given to me by the person who wrote it. He wrote it right after all the details came out about the classified documents. This is a very senior official who spent day in and day out with Donald Trump for over a year in the West Wing.

"I can't get any further details to who it was, but there was a lot of attention about Anonymous and we later learned it was Miles Taylor, who worked at the Department of Homeland Security," said Karl. "This is somebody who is more senior and spent a lot more time around Donald Trump who said those words about him, because he saw first-hand how he had operated and was conveying this to me. Didn't want to go public. Worried about the retribution we just talked about. This is somebody who has not been out there publicly taking on the president. Worried about retribution against the family, but deeply concerned about what a second Trump White House would look like."​

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hopefully he'll say enough stupid stuff during one of his multiple trials to land his ass in jail.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If he had competent legal representation, they would tell him to STFU.

Luckily for us, he doesn't have such representation (and unlikely to follow such advice.)

Driftwood likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Karl Marx called this what over 100 years ago? The rise of Super-capitalism and then the deterioration of society.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I was down a Red Dawn rabbit hole recently (because, as @Driftwood notes, Gen X rules) and apparently the original script had the Powers Boothe & Lea Thompson characters falling in love. But that was a little too skeevy given the age difference. What an awesomely dumb movie. Nine kids just turn back the whole fucking Russian army! And the brothers die holding each other on a street bench in a quiet street in the middle of WWIII.

Driftwood and garrow like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He picks his lawyers based on their OnlyFans fan pages.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters which lawyer tells him what. He'd run his mouth if he had an all star team pro bono.

He should have asked Mark Meadows for advice. He seems to be the only one who went and got a good lawyer and then kept his mouth shut.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And Taps, the all-time most under appreciated early 80s movie.
    “I saw my duty, and I did it.”

Driftwood, Matt1735 and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted