1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11: Magic Mike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 14, 2023.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of the NFL's many advantages over the college game. :)

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colleges started interviewing coaches after the first and third quarters this year.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My hot take is NFL halftimes should be a lot longer. It's the fucking NFL, people aren't tuning out. They've got money on the games. Make it at least 20 minutes. These dudes are in a fucking car wreck every half. They should have more time to get taped and shot up. And the coaches need more time to "make adjustments" (remember when Belichick was the best at making adjustments LOL then what happened).

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Somehow college halftimes, which are almost a half-hour, don't make people tune out. Gotta get those NFL games done in three hours on the nose, donchaknow. If anything, halftime should be longer for the fans at the game. Want to get a beer and a pretzel at the half? In addition to paying $27.95 for those two items, you also will be treated to missing the third quarter.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Peyton and Eli laugh at "halftime adjustments".

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SVSB4b99dKA

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Q5oAaeKE-Og

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I help out a local high school and their offensive coaches.

We for sure review, "OK this is the look they're giving us; these are the plays we can run against that look," but there's no re-inventing what we do or what we've practiced. We might talk to players about that look, and how we should be blocking Play X against it, but all these things are done in the context of the offense we practice.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I cannot believe there are people here arguing for longer halftimes.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Bengals were last in their division before last night.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Teams can lose draft picks for that, which might make a more lasting impression.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At one of the high schools I cover regularly, I go inside their fieldhouse at halftime to add up stats and take a piss, so I'll often overhear a bit of their halftime assessments with each other. It's just as you described. They'll spend maybe two minutes talking about which players they need to swap out, or a play that is working or not working that they need to use more or use less, but they're not drawing up new plays on the whiteboard.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah we'll go into a game with basically the roster of, "we think these will work" plays on our sheet. And halftime is mostly just crossing some of those out and writing others in. Or adding tags.

Like, "OK we were going to try to run Syracuse Strong 990 Power; instead lets try Syracuse Strong 990 Power G."

Batman likes this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Why not? As Junkie noted, it buys fans more time to get food. It buys players and coaches more time to rest and recalibrate. And you're gonna be stuck in a throng of 40,000 cars getting out in an hour-and-a-half anyway. The extra eight minutes aren't going to make a difference for your ride home.

Draft saved Draft deleted