1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think it is OK to call them low major. If you are from a league that consistently gets no at large bids, you are a low major.

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. "Low major" is a term that everybody seems afraid to use, but it's fair. In basketball, there are high majors/power conferences and "mid-majors," but never "low majors." How can there be a middle if there is now low or bottom tier, by definition?

Liut likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Someone in the comments said the theory is Reese has COVID

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Same reason politicians talk endlessly about helping the "middle class," when by definition the "lower class" needs help more. No one really wants to identify as or acknowledge there is the latter.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It still baffles me that people still give a shit about a college player making money. Angel Reese is arguably the best known current college basketball player. If it isn't her, its another woman, Clark. There are several institutions (LSU/NCAA/networks) making a shitload of money off her. Explain one more time why you give a shit if she makes money off her fame and talent? Because I completely don't get it.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If it changes him/her to the point where he/she doesn't work as hard, doesn't sacrifice for the team, doesn't listen to the coach, creates locker room drama that spills over onto the court/field, then it's bad for the other players and the fans of the team and undermines why he/she's getting the money in the first place.

Of course, that shit happened before there ever was money involved also, so . . .

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I used to be a huge college hoops fan, but it is unwatchable to me now.

Last night, Florida blew out Florida State. At halftime, I went to the gym to get a fouple of miles walking on the treadmill.

The second half was never in doubt. I started my walk with 11 minutes to go in the game. I finished 38 minutes and the game still had almost 3 minutes to go.

Replay reviews, media timeouts, regular timeouts ... the game went forever.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The GPA thing also rubs me the wrong way. I remember when she wasn't eligible for the Naismith Award last season, the only possible explanation was grades. I read somewhere that the Naismith requires a 2.0, while LSU/NCAA (don't remember which) only requires a 1.7 or 1.8 or something to remain eligible. That's a pretty low bar, especially for a student-athlete. Then over the summer, the story came out that she was going to only do classes online, because her level of celebrity made physically going to class unreasonable.

I realize academics are a running joke for D-I athletes, but still is pretty shitty.

Also, is Angel Reese's mom's name really Angel Reese?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mulkey really comes across as a fucking moron in that clip. She’s not a sissy, so she won’t get tested for Covid? What a leader.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The first time I Saw that clip, I thought it was an SNL-type parody of her done by some social media smartass.

Liut likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

She should coach the NC State baseball team in the spring.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted