1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tough to tell. Can’t see if he gets his hands all the way underneath it.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"When is a catch a catch?" again? He couldn't finish it. The call on the field should stand in my opinion.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

I'm not a reporter chasing a story, but I am a guy who's a long time UAB fan. Dilfer has plenty of detractors among them. I have heard nothing that indicated his being involved. It's a big money prep school who paid to hire an ex-NFL QB, though. I'd have no problem believing they indulged in recruiting shenanigans, lord knows they are common enough. If there were, he most likely knew about it.

I'm simply saying that I'm in the big middle of that fan pool, and I have not heard so much as a rumor. I can point you at all kind of Dilfer hate over the DC and ST coaches, tacklers who seem to think they are playing pinball, and the utter lack of any competent halftime adjustments, though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it's kinda quaint when public high schools elect to remain in their respective states' HSAAs, and continue operating as High
    Schools,
    that is, schools including grades 9-12, no players over age 19, coaches usually teachers of actual academic subjects, with teams made up of students from their geographical areas, taking and passing representative academic schedules and following now somewhat antiquated "recruiting," residency and amateurism rules.

The rest of 'em, charter schools, private schools, boarding schools, prep academies, yadda yadda bullshit bullshit bullshit. Fuck 'em all. They're all U22 semipro teams. If I were still at newspapers, none of em would ever see a column inch of anything ever. If it was up to me they'd play in absolute secrecy.

Dog8Cats and SFIND like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I tweeted (sorry, X'd) my first live video of a TD and caught the DE punching the right tackle in the huevos THREE times on the play. Stellar debut.

Batman, PaperDoll and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once that was posted, the DE rocketed up to No. 3 on Texas A&M's recruiting board.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You were able to tell me in about 50 words what took that writer 460 words to finally get to: The fact the 2 pointer should never have counted. Instead, he tries to get cute and completely misses the biggest part of that story until well after most people with no rooting interest would have given up.

It should be in your G-D lede: Shafter's bid at a perfect season and a chance to play for a section title were dashed on a play that should never have counted.
    A broken PAT play in overtime with Madera-Torres trailing by one led to a miracle 2-point conversion except for one problem: The receiver who caught a desperation pass for the win was ineligible because he also snapped the ball that set the whole chaotic scene in motion.

I was never a huge fan of Zach Ewing when he was at the Californian, but he wouldn't have let that mistake slide.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Championship week in Alabama. And the play of the game segment is sponsored by … the state ABC board. Just lovely.

12. Neutral Corner

Like they need to advertise. They're relics of the blue law past here. The state controls alcohol sales, runs retail stores, sells wholesale to bars, all in order to control demon rum (and sin tax the snot out of it). There are liquor stores other than the state store, but they live on the margins - open later than 7 pm, open on Sunday or holidays. So it's a captive market.

Draft saved Draft deleted