1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I get it. Trump and Spicer were trying to set the tone and let everyone know there’s a new sheriff in town. Also, Trump was elected to run the government like a business and in his business the boss is always right and you don’t contradict him.

I worked at a paper where the publisher was very big on civic pride. The high school played an early season game against one of the top teams in the state. I asked the guy who covered the game how big the crowd was. He gave me two numbers, both estimates because that’s all you can usually get at a high school football game, and said he went with the larger one because that’s what the publisher wanted.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, Democrats never challenge the standard-bearer. Ask Jimmy Carter and Hillary Clinton (with a bunch of people in 2008 and Bernie in 2016) if that’s true.

Maybe someone didn’t challenge Bill Clinton and Obama when they ran for second terms, I can’t remember.

The first inkling that Bush 41 was in trouble was when Pat Buchanan beat him in NH. Republicans do like the taste of “RINO” flesh.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is fantasy. Are we to assume no elected Democrats are ambitious? It's not protocol, it's a well-founded belief that they can't beat Biden and will louse up their careers if they try. Dean Phillips, who is trying, is getting primaried in his home district for his trouble.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They were young and popular. So much so that Democrats wished they could have voted for them for a third term (because they would have won!).

As opposed to unprecedentedly old with a sub-40% approval rating whom two-thirds don't want as the nominee for a second term.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That kinda sounds like protocol to me ... If you challenge the sitting President, then the party will see to it that you: 1) do not win the nomination; and 2) pay a price career-wise.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Hillary wasn’t an incumbent.

The incumbent is always the “standard-bearer.” She was running to replace Obama as such.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that Joe Biden is the nominee as a nod to the sane Republicans of the world - "Look we're going to nominate someone every one on the hill likes and considers pretty moderate because we can't have that guy in the White House again."

Didn't matter, of course, because they're still going to say, "oh really isn't he just as bad as Trump."

qtlaw, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the WH and Congressional leadership has actually sat down and talked about running the country together since about 2019?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

She might as well have been. And the DNC did everything in its power to minimize the other candidates.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Straight out of the Politburo handbook.

"Back off, it's Brezhnev's turn." --- Donna Brazilova

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's a big part of why I love this place. There are always smart guys, curious and well informed people, on the thread somewhere. People who are accustomed to doing a bit of research before they start writing at that. I tend to pop off a lot of surface level stuff because I treat it as a message board.

Thank you for your knowledge and perspective. All of you.

maumann and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted