1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that the DNC’s role in anointing her heir apparent turned some voters against her, or at least contributed to keeping some away from the polls, making it a bit more possible for Trump to foul up the White House.

wicked likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dems: Let’s elect a guy who is respected by Senators from both sides of aisle who won’t do crazy things.

Republicans: We are doubling down on MAGA in response to the Biden Crime Family!!!1!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You'd think GQP candidates would be happy to get questions about bigotry and anti-semitic conspiracy theories, since those should be the easiest things to condemn. Why is this so hard for them???

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

You are very welcome, DQ. :)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

MisterCreosote and DQ together triggered that, for the record, and they're far from the only ones I was thinking about.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, your story reminds me of a story I read about baseball in 1890, when the Players League was competing against the National League and the American Association (then a major league).

Teams in all three leagues were struggling with attendance. One day, a newspaper reporter contacted an NL club official and asked him what the attendance was for that day’s game. The club official reported “24. 17.” The reporter left.

The club official turned to another guy in the office and said, “There were 24 people on the left side of the stands, and 17 people on the right side of the stands. If he writes that there were 2,417 people in the stands, that’s a matter between him and his editors, not me.”

Carry on.

7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Gee (not you Michael) Alma, BT express and Dan Oregon uniting under the theme of “democrats are in trouble if Biden is the candidate.’’ Call it The Sky is Falling Coalition. Democrats can never do anything right, especially in Alma’s view. Biden is fine, when we get close to the election people will get behind him, especially since it’s most likely he will be running against Trump, and against the generic abortion hating Republicans. There are just way too many people who want to make sure Trump never gets near the Whitehouse again, unless it’s in a dungeon somewhere in the basement (not a bad idea, actually, because it makes things so much easier for the Secret Service).
    The Magats make a lot of noise, but they still only comprise (maybe, it’s probably lower) 30 percent of the electorate and a good portion of that is concentrated in a coalition of states that can’t provide enough electoral votes to get him over the top.
    And one more time: Abortion! Banning it or limiting it is already costing election after election for Republicans even in their “base’’ states. And you can use whatever definition of base you want, because both fit.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Trump helped the process, but this as after months of getting in the way. He downplayed the danger while discouraging testing and wearing masks to help mitigate the spread. He should have been taking action as soon as he found out about COVID, well before it became public. He should have been encouraging testing and mask wearing. Operation Warp Speed should have started by late March at the latest. Waiting two months after the major shutdowns began was idiotic. It was like his response to the educational crisis created by COVID. He started talking about getting students back in the classroom a few weeks before the 2020-21 school year was set to begin, way too late to help get resources in place to make that possible.

Of course, Trump is going to take credit for the vaccine as part of his campaign. The Biden campaign is going to need to hammer him on the failure of his initial response and how it made things worse than they had to be.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The smart guy on the thread is whoever tweeted the thing that I just agreed with. Hiuck, hiuck, hiuck.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The difference being that Biden doesn't have a cult within his own party the way Trump does. Also, Biden's age is a very real problem.

"I'm not Trump and I'm a lot younger than Biden" could have been an effective campaign.

WriteThinking and Driftwood like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You know whose age is a very real problem? Trump, because he’s showing “signs” of age much more than the president is showing.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perception is everything.

If his base doesn't recognize his aging process, it's as if it doesn't exist. Only to the people who weren't going to back him in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted