1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hammering Trump on his initial failures is meant as a response to him taking credit for the vaccines, which I expect him to do no matter what his advisors tell him.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It may never be great at stopping transmission. What it seems to do is mitigate the symptoms, which doesn't have much value for populations that handle its effects well such as children.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know, if the Ds had polling that showed Candidate X had a five point lead over Trump - I think people would come around. Unfortunately, all of the Candidate X's are doing about as well as Biden is vs. Trump. I do think the other candidates might have higher ceilings than Biden does though - and also lower floors. I'd think Team Biden would be putting this messaging out there though - better to go with a known quantity, who has the power of the Presidency behind him. And who knows? Maybe people will start feeling better about the economy by next September. I will say this though - publically dismissing the polls doesn't ease people's concerns, it adds to them.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/16/news/trump-beats-biden-newsom-harris-manchin-in-2024-poll/

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You gotta lotta "its" there ... I think what you're saying is that the vaccine seems to mitigate symptoms but that's not such a big deal for children for whom COVID ain't such a big deal anyway.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or recruiting rankings. STARS MATTER !!!

doctorquant likes this.
  7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure we’ve been over and over and over the flaws in polls and who they are or are not including.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are dozens of things I could have included. The point was that COVID is a place no candidate needs to go. No sense rehashing the entire saga.

Now, perhaps. Never should have come to that. He should have picked a president-worthy VP and announced in his first year that he would not be running for re-election.

Uh, they do matter.

View attachment 16729

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Flu vaccine is much the same way. Even in good match years. And the impact of flu is reduced once kids reach school age.

But, technology is improving all the time. And with COVID, you can see more cross-protection between strains than you do with flu. Thus reducing the likelihood of a poor match year, in which flu vaccine could be less than 20-30 percent effective.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why is Harris not worthy of being President? If you want to say she's unelectable, that's at least a debatable point. Saying she's not qualified isn't. It's hooey at best, and very ugly code at worst.

Fred siegle and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's what I meant. Otherwise I would have said "unqualified."

She showed her "worthiness" or "electability" as the Democratic nominee in her three-nanosecond 2020 campaign, which saw her brought down by Tulsi Gabbard, for crying out loud.

He won't, because boo me once, shame on you, boo me twice . . .

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We act like that's Biden-specific. But we all know regardless of who POTUS was, should he suddenly withdraw from seeking re-election a shitshow of epic proportions would ensue.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted