1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Speaking of bizarre official rulings, I saw something funky during last week's UAB - Navy game. Navy runs a second down play that is ruled just short of a first down. Navy's coach gets in the official's ear about the spot but gets no satisfaction. He puts in a short yardage, two tight ends, everyone tight at the line. About three seconds before the play snaps, the flag men start to move the flags. Apparently the officials decided it was a first down after all.

That meant that instead of Navy running a short yardage dive on third and short, they ran a short yardage play for a yard and a half on first down. Coach Newberry about had a stroke on the sideline yelling at the officials afterward.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That is the basketball rule. Fossy is correct for football.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's the CIF, no matter the state level or the section level. Been going on for decades.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've worked with Ryan Tos since he was the AD at Lemoore and he's a good guy. But seconded on the CIF.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Max Strus got nothing on her:

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does Non-Select mean public schools instead of private? That’s an awfully big crowd otherwise for what sounds like it should be a game between hopeless charity cases.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This was a fun game-winner too, though just regular season. There was 1.6 on the clock. I don't think the kid did it on purpose, but I actually think missing on purpose here is a good play. In normal circumstances clock runs out after getting the board and trying to throw something full court. Whereas you make it, team can at least throw it to halfcourt and maybe get decent look. Instead, he misses but the rebound hits the floor first so clock doesn't start right away and bounces perfectly to the kid who then launches it for the miracle.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Blue Earth Area"

Not near Blue Island by any stretch.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Looks like Minnesota. I thought Pennsylvania had a monopoly on "Area" schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted