1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What on God's green Earth is the point you're trying to make? "[W]e have to consider the whole range of possibility" means what exactly?

Azrael likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9/11 was an act of religious faith/devotion/expression, was it not?

wicked and TigerVols like this.
  3. doctorquant

Sure it was ... what follows your "therefore"?

Azrael likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That religious texts are sometimes a very poor foundation for ethics or morals or politics or governance.

The original question was whether and how religion informs morality and ethics at the political level. [The source of a political opinion is hard to pin down. That it comes from a religious belief is difficult to ascertain and not relevant.]

I'm just saying that (sometimes misinterpreted) religious beliefs of every stripe often lead to some pretty terrible (sometimes unintended) real world consequences.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. doctorquant

Disagree. The original question was whether political positions grounded in religiously informed morality/ethics are illegitimate in our neck o' the woods. Which is a silly question, if only as a practical matter. As @justgladtobehere pointed out, disentangling the religious from the non-religious underpinnings of an individual's political position is quite often going to be a fool's errand.

I oppose, completely and without reservation, the death penalty. Does it matter whether, and to what degree, my opposition stems from my faith? Is it out of alignment with our shared democratic values for me to daily pursue my Baptismal commitment to "strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?" Is someone who similarly pursues such but without a religious grounding a better American?

Also ... That religion's track record in politics ain't exactly blemish-free is certainly true, but as you well know religion-free politics doesn't sport a 1.000 batting average, either.

I Should Coco and Azrael like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not illegitimate certainly, but those political positions arrive with lots of baggage, asterisks, caveats and potential conflicts. All of which eventually, I'd argue, confuse and complicate the application of simple civic ethics and social morality.

You're a good guy. I trust your judgment when it comes to politics and ethics and morals, however founded.

But from which part of the book does the Westboro Church pick and choose its ethics and morality?

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m a millennial. I don’t have time for reasoned debate. When are you two gonna fight?

wicked, MileHigh, Fred siegle and 7 others like this.
  8. doctorquant

True, but name one that doesn't.

A rather obscure and non-canonical epistle ... Paul's Letter to the Moronians.

Azrael likes this.
  9. doctorquant

He and I have already agreed to a duel ... walking canes at 120 paces ... but we're quibbling over: 1) the date/time; and 2) which Cracker Barrel parking lot.

wicked, MileHigh, Inky_Wretch and 8 others like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the best we can do when talking about the civic application of ethics and morality is whatever does the most good for the most people - irrespective of their religious convictions and complications. Founders were pretty smart that way.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Peg Game, best 3 of 5.

Then our cardiologists supervise the consumption of 2 Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfasts™ and a pitcher of Sweet Tea.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted