1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Free markets!
    Populism!
    Biden's to Blame!

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Just because a group of people believe something doesn't make it law. When a majority can agree on legislation and it isn't unconstitutional, what's wrong?

Should we be compelled to only eat vegan? Well that is the same hypothetical as your stoning example. Neither is going to happen because a majority of people would not support it. But people's opinions still can be based on moral convictions.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

6,000 pages. In before the lock.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Honestly, enjoying a Polar Plunge of this nature is probably a good an indicator of dementia as anything.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We were more than double that on this date four years ago. Which explains as much as anything why The Washington Post saw its revenue fall off a cliff.
    (Although Moddy did start the Trump one right after the election and started the Biden one on inauguration day. So Trump thread had a 10-week head start).

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.58.55 PM.png

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A salient point. The "mainstream media" got used to the daily raving lunacy coming from the White House, and enjoyed a huge uptick in people watching the slow-motion train wreck, commenting on it or being drawn to or repelled by it.

Now that there's a relative boringness to the Presidency again, the media that made gobs of money because Washington was a zoo for four years truly believe the economy is worse off, for them in particular, because the news is no longer spoon-fed to them in massive Twitter rants and press conferences.

Trumpism was a powerful drug, and the Post and Times and networks can't shake the addiction, which is why they continue to devote space and time to a con man and his sideshow circus.

There's a "Why doesn't Biden do something to help us draw more eyeballs?" vibe to the mostly-negative coverage of this administration. The lack of National Enquirer-type scandals and controversies doesn't sell papers or TV ads.

Another four (or who knows) years of Trump would actually be considered short-term beneficial to the suits, as one poster would say. Terrible for the country but I hadn't found a media executive yet who actually cares about anything but the next ratings book.

wicked, MileHigh, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sometimes they work the system and it does. That's what this entire debate is about. That and churches, who traditionally have largely stayed out of politics, actively stepping into the political process with the advantage of being tax deductible.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Along with CNN they became Sagat.

I'll suck dick for Trump clicks!

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. This debate is about the "wrong" people getting political, or people getting political for the "wrong" reasons.

I don't recall much caterwauling 'round these parts about, e.g., "Souls to the Polls" (The Black Church has been getting ‘souls to the polls’ for more than 60 years | Kinder Institute for Urban Research).

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m a Gen Xer. Wanna play Atari?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Xenophobe is my game of choice.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“He’s yellow, see? Look at his dang towel!”

Draft saved Draft deleted