1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They restrict supply when supply is especially needed.

Azrael and justgladtobehere like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with the last paragraph. I have no interest in judging the relative merits of belief systems. It's the opposite. I don't want political opinions dismissed out of hand because they are based on religion.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what makes you right about what the best utility would be? Or me? Or anyone?

And if one is not getting instructions from any deity - which, fine, OK - then from what does anyone get it? Their wits? Some common, agreed-upon knowledge of goodness? A hodgepodge of things borrowed from religions but magically free of anything a progressive might object to?

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Everybody knows that Trump is crazy
    Everybody knows that he's also lazy
    Everybody knows that '20 is over
    Everybody knows the bad guys lost
    Everybody knows that it wasn't fixed
    The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the Times is failing
    Everybody knows the Murdochs lied
    Everybody got this sinking feeling
    Like they have lost most of their pride

Everybody has got phones in their pockets
    Everybody wants a box of chocolates
    And a long stem rose
    Everybody knows

6. doctorquant

Same here.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If I rise at our next town hall meeting and present evidence gathered during a one-year water study that a townwide sewer system would prevent 99% of our local cholera cases, I'd be basing my argument on science.

Not religion.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's a policy disagreement. Not an ethical or moral disagreement.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/573841-theres-no-denying-the-data-rent-control-works/

https://www.theurbanist.org/2019/08/05/the-case-for-rent-control/

Issues 2020: Rent Control Does Not Make Housing More Affordable

The Pros And Cons Of Rent Control For Landlords And Tenants

We're not arguing about 'right' or 'wrong' in the sense of 'correct' or 'incorrect.'

9. doctorquant

It took me about 5 seconds to find this in your "theurbanist" link ...

"[The] research also finds that the overall positive impact of rent control–reducing inequality and providing a source of stability for households who face a decline in income–more than compensates for any loss in market efficiency–due to higher housing and labor market distortions."

If that "value" doesn't rest on some ethical/moral foundation, I'll eat this here Texas Rangers World Series Champions (!!!) hat.

justgladtobehere and Azrael like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is dismissing political opinions based on religion out of hand.

I'm arguing that because they are faith-based, many dearly held religious convictions become political opinions or policies that cannot be reasonably argued against.

Religion is a much different foundation on which to build an ethics or morality.

But you and I can have a reasonable, evidence-based argument about rent control, each of us presenting facts and figures to bolster our argument. One of us might be wrong and one of us might be right, but it's not an argument dependent entirely on faith.

And it's not inherently hypocritical to adopt or abandon one side or the other of that argument.

11. doctorquant

Sure it is. I dare you to make the case for something vis-a-vis "inequality" (!!!) and have it not be a faith-based one. Because the case against inequality (!!!) has no rational foundation.

Azrael likes this.
  12. doctorquant

Gotta sign off for awhile and go to church, where I'll be offering up prayers for a more just federal marginal tax regime.

HanSenSE and Azrael like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted