1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

COVID seniors, some players sticking around due to NIL, transfer portal shaking things up annually, which creates parity. It's a different game.

franticscribe and Captain_Kirk like this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

But it wasn't a Yale made basket - I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Vermont made the layup, then it was a foul on the Yale inbound play, then Vermont inbound.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Looked almost exactly like the JMU play against Kent State in the first week of the season.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern University beat No. 21 Mississippi State 60-59 today.
    Southern is now 2-0 all-time against Mississippi State, after also winning in Starkville in 2015.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State defeated Cal Poly 70-63 last night in 2 OT and became the first Division I team in the 21st century to play a 50-minute game, not make a single 3-pointer, and still win.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

On a spot throw-in, the player has a 3-foot wide "box" in which at least 1 foot must be on or over. He can jump, and there is no depth limitation. He can move his feet as long as one is in the box.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Thank you! This makes sense to me.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't describe how messed up the officiating was at the end of the OK State-SIU game last night.

SIU player blocks a shot to all but end the game with 2 ish seconds to go. But the ref calls a T for celebrating? Taunting? on the SIU player.

The next 10 minutes are spent with the refs at the scoring table, reviewing endlessly.

Textbook example of the refs getting involved for no reason. It was horrific.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did not expect to see Jim Boeheim on the halftime studio show for ACC Network.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What did they ultimately decide?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

First review: Technical
    Second review: I forget
    Third Review: Whether there was 0.3 seconds left after a missed free throw, 80 feet from the basket.

And every review consisted of the two male referees working the review monitor, while the female ref stood behind them doing nothing. The only thing more disrespectful would have been if they turned around and told her, "Hey sweetie, go make us some sandwiches".

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Strangely enough literally all of the video highlights of this game available on YouTube cut off with split second surgical precision as the player goes up for the shot in question-- no footage whatsoever of the ensuing block, the alleged taunting which followed, or the debate at the scorer's table. Never saw it.

Draft saved Draft deleted