1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was Ukraine controlled by a terrorist group that hit Russia with a horrifying terrorist attack like Oct. 7?

2. outofplace

Short term: Israel surrounds Gaza. Ceasefire - conditional to hostage exchange /negotiation as brokered by UN / disinterested third party countries. Sweden. Finland. Norway. Paraguay. New Zealand. Etc. Peace talks begin in Geneva. Multinational peacekeeping force on the ground in Israel / Gaza / West Bank and along the borders.

Medium / Long term: Saudi Arabia donates territory to create a new state along the border of Jordan, the boundaries of which run from roughly Duba to Tabuk to Sakaka to Tubajal. Most of this land is currently Saudi Royal Nature Preserve. Its establishment, administration and infrastructure to be funded by a consortium of wealthy regional nations - including Israel. Safe transit and seed money granted to every Palestinian. Truth and reconciliation commission established to adjudicate historic wrongs and pay reparations to injured parties. ICC undertakes criminal prosecutions.

Show me the offer from the UN to do this. Israel can't make that happen on its own.

Israel just tried a cease-fire to allow a hostage exchange. Hamas violated it immediately, firing rockets at Israel. They delayed the first hostage exchange. They either lied about the number of hostages they are still holding or they sold off some of them to other groups. They insisted that all women under 45 are not civilians. In short, they failed to act in good faith.

I am fairly certain I and others addressed the medium/long term plan. The Palestinians might want it, but Hamas won't accept it. They don't want nearby land. They want the land where Israel is now. They want the Israelis gone, preferably dead.

Even if you could get past all that, why is Israel paying the bill for defending itself? Asking them to offer financial support for a safe home for Palestinians is one thing. Insisting that they pay reparations is another entirely.

OscarMadison, TigerVols and Azrael like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

I will have to read all of it later. I don't see specific commitment to an international peacekeeping force in the area or resettlement of the Palestinians. Maybe I didn't get far enough.

The refusal to include the Canadian Amendment is a problem. If they can't condemn the terrorism that started this, how do they expect this to work? If they aren't going to honestly deal with Hamas, these efforts are doomed to fail.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Given that there's loads of videos of the atrocities Hamas inflicted on innocents on Oct. 7, it baffles me how anyone can expect Israel to moderate its response and expect Hamas to have learned their lesson.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

US and EU Back UN Force in Postwar Gaza, Adding Pressure on Israel

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Posting again, in case anyone needs a refresher:

https://www.hamas-massacre.net/

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Israel killing Hamas. I have a problem with killing two civilians (or more) for every Hamas death.

The two to one figure is Israeli sourced, I imagine that they're lowballing that number same as Hamas inflates civilian deaths.

SFIND likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The "you have to break some eggs to make an omelette" viewpoint expressed by some is pretty gross.

I shouldn't have to but let me add: NOT NEARLY AS GROSS AS WHAT HAMAS DID!

Neutral Corner and dixiehack like this.
  10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Nice. But you didn't answer his question, which was what you think ISRAEL can do. Not what you would like to see Saudi Arabia do (which they wouldn't do because they don't care about the Palestinians. Or what you would like to see assorted wealthy regional nations, who also don't particularly care about the Palestinian people, do. Besides all of this being out of ISRAEL's hands, your solution would result in the world accusing Israel of "ethnic cleansing" since the Palestinian state would be in present-day Saudi Arabia, not in Palestine.

Also, why on earth would Israel trust the UN to broker anything? Unless there's a UN other than this one:

Accounts of Sexual Violence by Hamas Are Aired Amid Criticism of U.N.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As I said, there are literally an infinite number of approaches Israel might take, depending upon which outcome it seeks.

Asking for help from an international coalition of neutral countries might be one of them.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Because there's such a long history of "international coalitions of 'neutral' countries" treating Israel fairly and totally not operating under double standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted