1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. outofplace

Did you even read his post? The UN is happy to criticize Israel, but they won't condemn Hamas for the terrorist attack that started this latest war. How is Israel supposed to trust a body that shows that sort of double standard? Hamas can do what they want, but Israel has to play nice. The appropriate response from Israel should be fuck you. It should always be fuck you.

Start with condemning Hamas. Until that happens, it is ridiculous to expect Israel to take anything from the U.N. seriously. They should condemn terrorism. Why is that even controversial?

You keep repeating that nonsense about infinite solutions as if it means something. It doesn't. Specific, practical solutions are what has value. So far, I've only seen one from you and it isn't realistic for many reasons. The most important is that it is based on an unrealistic view of Hamas. You cannot expect Hamas to follow international law. They won't. You cannot expect Hamas to act honorably. They will not. You cannot expect Hamas to accept a plan that relocates Palestinians. They will not. You cannot expect Hamas to accept any plan that allows Israel to exist. They will not. It opposes everything they stand for, but you don't seem to want to acknowledge that reality.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The overarching reason for the fight isn't what he is discussing. He is discussing how to conduct a fight in which civilians are at risk.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OK. Not the UN.

How about the US and the EU?

What's your strategy?

What's Israel's strategy?

5. outofplace

It is an unrealistic goal when you have an opponent like Hamas, which is happy to use the Palestinian people as human shields. Anybody who doesn't understand that has no business being in this discussion.

6. outofplace

I'm not the one hammering away at Israel for its current strategy. I have only one problem with the concept of an international peacekeeping force. It is going to get some of those people killed. If it involves the United States, it is going to get Americans killed. Of course, that is a big problem. I don't trust Hamas to stop no matter who is guarding the border. Do you think they are going to be shy about killing Americans? About taking Americans hostage? If you do, you haven't been paying attention.

Every idea you are offering ignores the fact that Hamas wants no part of any solution that allows Israel to exist.

7. outofplace

One of the things I find most tiresome here is the abuse of the word genocide. No, Israel does not want to commit genocide. No, that is not its goal. It is offensive to suggest otherwise.

No, all Palestinians do not want to commit genocide against Jews. Neither do most of the Americans protesting against Israel. I haven't seen it here, but I have seen fearmongering jackasses pushing those ideas, too.

There is one group involved there that would commit genocide if it had the means. That is Hamas. They want Israel gone and all Jews dead. If you don't get that, you haven't been paying attention.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/05/israel-military-offensive-hamas-destruction-gaza/

TEL AVIV — As Israel opens a new southern front in its war in Gaza, it is still far from achieving its stated military objective: the total destruction of the Hamas militant group that rules the strip and spearheaded the Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel.

At least 5,000 Hamas militants have been killed, according to three Israeli security officials, leaving the majority of its estimated 30,000-strong military wing intact.

The Israeli officials spoke to The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing military operations and details that have not been made public.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

Neither that nor quoting Bernie does anything to answer my argument, that the solutions you have offered are unrealistic fantasy that ignores not only the legitimate concerns of Israel but also Hamas's stated goals of eradicating all Jews while wiping Israel off the map.

Next time quote my whole post instead of dodging the part you can't answer to pound away at the same tired argument you've been dumping on this thread for weeks.

11. outofplace

ICYMI: During Questions from Stefanik, Presidents of Harvard, UPENN, & MIT Refuse to Condemn Calls for Genocide of Jews

I'm disgusted by the way Republicans have shamelessly used the war on Hamas and the reaction at home, but the presidents of Harvard, Penn, and MIT failed miserably on this one. They were asked if calling for the genocide of Jews violates their code of conduct and none of them would say yes. They forced me to agree with Rep. Elise Stefanik. The answer should be yes, of course it does. How can any university find that acceptable?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're agreeing with Seditious StefaniQ, and Clay Trumpist has been praising John Fetterman.

Strange days, indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted