1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Arizona Bowl will also be on The CW.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Both Army and Navy are 5-6. Is there a reason the winner doesn't get a bowl bid?

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Their game doesn't count toward bowl eligibility because it comes after selection Sunday. They already needed to have 6 wins. This is essentially their bowl game.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Unless things have changed, I don't think the service academies are fired up about bowls in general. The Pentagon isn't keen on them, either. Seniors -- particularly linemen -- often have to cut massive amounts of weight by graduation/commission day in order to report to their first gigs on time. The later the bowl game, the shorter they have to do it.

5. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

It's the first year a Big Ten school (Northwestern) is playing before Christmas. Big Ten always held out for the bigger bowls, but there was no room for the Wildcats after Santa fell through the chimney.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But perhaps of greater importance to this bunch: the spread?

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Looks like Army -2.5.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

“Days of Wine and Roses” is a great pull — a classic 1960s film AND a cool song!

maumann and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Army has two wins over FCS schools (Delaware State and Holy Cross). Can't count two toward six wins.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Daze of Whines and Roses?

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Oh...they aren't out of the Barstool business yet and my hope is that CW isn't out of the live sports business after this shit show about to occur.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/the-cw...-sports-arizona-bowl-dave-portnoy-1235644378/

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted