1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is me. I left journalism two years ago for a PR/comms job with a city. I, too, love it. It's just me and my boss, the comms director, in our agency, of which we get a high amount of media inquiries. He and his boss (the executive director) and the policy team, from what I've been told, like what I bring as a former journalist from the newspaper and TV side of things. The questions they likely will ask and for us to prepare for. Always anticipating the worst. I do a lot of website updating, writing content, etc., more in my wheelhouse.

My boss is great in front of a camera. I am not. But we do monthly mock sessions on the off chance he's gone and I have to do something on camera. It's only happened once, and it was a positive story, not a big deal. No heavy grilling. But he'll come up with subjects that we deal with a lot and has helped me tremendously just in case I do need to get in front of the camera and it's made me much more well-rounded.

Plus, I like the job security and not having the fear of getting tapped on the shoulder -- again.

maumann, Slacker, playthrough and 3 others like this.
  2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Are you listening, Romi?

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"You always wish for a little more privacy," said the guy who demands to be called Coach Prime.

SixToe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And has a son filming constantly for a potential reality series.

SixToe likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Flacking out is a way more lucrative option -- and less frowned upon -- than it was when I was still in radio. That's the reality of the situation, though. By the time you're 40, your chances of reaching a major market, or even a job that allows you to raise a family, are close to zero. And unless you somehow landed a well-paying gig in a mid-level metro, you don't have enough money to invest in a startup or even a record store.

So as many folks on the board have proven, corporations and public agencies lack people with strong communication skills, and are willing to pay good money for those who not only can pitch good stories but know where to find them in the first place. Those jobs are out there if you're willing. But it's difficult to lose the desire for the adrenaline rush that is deadline, seeing yourself on camera or hearing your voice in your headphones.

The parallels to professional athletes are striking. Thousands of college seniors are graduating every June, thinking they've got the tools and talent to anchor the ABC/NBC/CBS Evening News, just like elite athletes all consider themselves making big bucks in MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL. Eventually, 99 percent of them have to figure out a different way to pay the rent.

Was my career not successful because I didn't replace Ernie Harwell as voice of the Tigers or Sid Collins on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network, like I started out dreaming of as a kid? Not at all. I still got to be a storyteller on radio, in print and on the Internet for a lot longer than I probably deserved. It just happened in places like Ocala, Melbourne, Vacaville, Rocky Mount, Raleigh and Atlanta instead.

You're all great storytellers, even if you don't have a byline in the New York Times or a feature on 60 Minutes.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If I can't work in a newsroom anymore, I don't want any job dealing with words and writing, etc.

I loved that adrenaline kick of publishing news and vital information on deadline. PR and marketing communications just don't do it for me.

But I respect all of you who could make that transition, and I envy your hefty new paychecks and benefits. Now I'll go cry myself to sleep again. o_O

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's different words and writing and I hear what you're saying.

But ... yeah, hefty new paycheck. All holidays off. No weekends. And above all, job security. I'm happy to to have made that tradeoff.

BurnsWhenIPee, SixToe and Liut like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I guess I'm retired now. That's a pretty good tradeoff, too.

Still gonna miss those newsrooms, though. The ones before everything fell apart.

maumann, Liut and MileHigh like this.
  9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm still in media/newswriting/publishing, but work from home and basically on my own time other than kind of a morning rush to get things off the ground.

Thought I would miss newsrooms and that environment too, but don't at all. Nothing like the flexibility. I'll take that every second of the day over a crazy newsroom that could be fun with those in it with me, but still came with a lot of office baggage. I don't know if the job security is 100% but it is much better than traditional media, and I am getting paid more too.

I had been out of it for a while and people always asked me why I didn't write blogs or whatever just because. I was like, why would I do that for fun?

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Great take(s).
    Thousands of college seniors are graduating every June, thinking they've got the tools and talent to anchor the ABC/NBC/CBS Evening News
    Even though they don't know much history/geography/economics and mumble their speech.
    I was thinking just the other day of a college professor who would tell students they needed to practice speaking out loud and rid themselves of verbal crutches and dialects. Seemed like good advice at the time. Today, he'd be fired.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I still miss the newsroom vibe on days when the major stories are hitting hard. And there are days when the PR/Comms thing doesn't move the needle in the least for me.

But like MileHigh said, bigger paycheck, nights, weekends and holidays. And things like off-schedule pay raises and promotions without my pursuing them, "just because we see your dedication, unmatched ability to meet deadlines and the quality of your work."

Make no mistake, I freely believe I was better at my newspaper gig than I am at this job. But the items in bold would never happen in a million years at the paper I left. The most I'd get would be a "be happy you're employed" mindset. The further I get from it, the more it feels like I was the victim in an abusive relationship. When former co-workers and I get together and reminisce, each of us has a "did this really happen, and we were accepting of that?" trove of stories.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Count me in too. People aren't going to stop buying groceries, so work is steady and I make a helluva lot more than I ever did at the paper. And when my shift is over, I go home.

But when time (and lately, the local paper's budget allows), love covering Friday night football or whatever they throw my way, mostly for the rush of knocking one out on deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted