1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing more annoying than someone on a message board telling you what you think. Cause that shuts down something they don't agree with or like.

I'm not anti-transgender.

I'm not anti-anything when it comes to people. ... unless whatever it is you are, is hurting or infringing on others.

Someone who says they identify as something other than the sex they were assigned at birth, obviously doesn't infringe on anyone else.

I'm not standing in their way. I am as big an advocate for their right to be how they want as there is, and if anyone discriminates against them as people, I'll be at the front of the line saying it is wrong.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  2. The Big Ragu

I just noticed you edited the post I was responding to to add, "It isn’t that difficult to respect the identity of others, but you are going far out of your way to avoid doing so with that rant of yours."

You are not respecting anyone when you try to force others to use emperor's new clothes language because you think that somehow constitutes sensitivity. ... A transgender male to female person was a man at birth. Acknowledging that reality -- it was perfectly natural to do it when I was describing a male swimmer who transitioned and then created a controvery by competing against women - has nothing to do with respecting what they say they identify as.

You played the language police with your "do better." I responded. I wasn't going "far out of my way" with my "rant" to do anything. ... except tell why I thought you were being silly with your tsk tsk. If I don't elaborate and take pains to explain that I an anti-discrimination and I support people's rights, I know it is going to be: "bigot!" I did take pains. ... and you did that anyhow.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

I'd reflexively say, "Oh, don't do that!" ... Taking innocent people hostage shouldn't be allowed to be a tactic for getting 5 to 1 (or whatever the number is) exchanges of those innocent hostages for terrorists and criminals. As much pressure as you are under, and however badly everyone wants those people home, I think it's not a good decision to incentivize more terrorism that way.

But. ... mixed in with the objectively legitimate Hamas terrorists that Israel has in prison, are a shocking number of people who have been detained by Israel with no due process and who have never having been convicted of anything in a legitimate proceeding. Even ones who were tried, were are tried in different courts with different laws. So that kind of exchange really amounts to hostage for hostage because of Israel's unjust system.

I don't think what he wrote is realistic. ... He said to offer to release Palestinian prisoners and "send them to far away places far away from Israeli borders, such as Qatar, Libya, Tunisia or Algeria; and not to the West Bank, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon or Syria," and Hamas will reject it anyhow, and it will prove to the Palestinians and the entire Arab world that Hamas could give a shit about their prisoners.

Not a chance.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

This is exactly what I posted earlier. There is "preferred" speech on those campuses, not "free" speech, depending on who the target of the speech is.

This isn't just conspiracy or conjecture. There is example after example after example of all of these schools having taken stands (George Floyd, for example, look at what Claudine Gay put out at the time) on events, and of them shutting down various forms of speech as unacceptable.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  11. The Big Ragu

He really can't. Pissing up a rope is a very complex thing that goes way beyond simply aiming your dick north.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can claim you support people's rights all you want, but referring to a transgender woman as a man is disrespectful and offensive. This is a message board for writers and you are downplaying the importance of the proper use of language. That just makes no sense to me at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted