1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My apologies to everyone else for this coming up again. Ragu said his peace. I said mine. We had moved back to the actual topic, but you just couldn't resist. You can take the militant comment and stuff it. Yes, I care about respecting the identities of other people. If you don't, that's your issue.

The topic came up on this thread because Ragu brought it up. I commended his overall message regarding the universities in that post but pointed out that it was inappropriate to refer to Lia Thomas as a man. This wasn't some casual mistake by someone not used to using the appropriate nouns and pronouns. He doubled down on it when I made my comment. He is intentionally choosing to refer to a transgender woman in a way that I am certain she would find offensive. Also, this isn't someone like Caitlin Jenner, someone we all knew about before she transitioned. I doubt Ragu ever heard of Lia Thomas before she transitioned. There was no reason he would have. I certainly hadn't. He never had to adjust how he referred to Thomas from what she had been earlier in her life. (He can correct me if I'm wrong about that. Maybe he is a Penn swimming fan!)

You don't have to wrap your head around the issue. It's so easy to just respect the identities of transgender people. It takes more work to dead name Lia Thomas than it does to just use the name she uses now.

If y'all want to drag this out further, we can start a new thread or dig up the one about Thomas. It really doesn't belong here.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guy tries to take down a Palestinian flag in London, and a WWE ladder match breaks out.

Slacker likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

IMG_6162.jpeg

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.doctorswithoutborders.c...st-end-its-complicity-in-the-ongoing-carnage/

The United Nations Security Council must demand an immediate and sustained ceasefire, to lift the siege and ensure unrestricted aid to the entire Gaza Strip. To date, the inaction of the United Nations Security Council and vetoes from member states, particularly the United States, make them complicit in the ongoing slaughter; this inaction has given license to the mass killing of men, women and children.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hopefully at some point, there’ll be piece in the Mideast.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist).

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ragu held his peace for awhile. Oop? Never.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not the one who brought it back up. WriteThinking did that, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bullshit, tovarish.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was talking about Ragu's long absence from the board. And your proclivity to never let anything go. On anything.
    Wasn't referencing any particular subject Write Thinking or anyone else brought back up.
    But don't let . . . never mind.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vince Russo just got an idea for a flag on a pole match between Bill Goldberg and Muhammed Hassan.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted