1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Frosted strawberry, toaster setting 1.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Multiplying my general distaste for sports agents.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How the Pop-Tart mascot should be delivered:

IMG_6150.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    SixToe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

It was suggested that opt-outs from bowl games are fine. But scholarship agreements should stipulate that if the player opts out, he owes the school a semester of tuition.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I do like the idea of there being some consequences for leaving your program before the bowl game.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Goodness filling out bowl pools will be a crapshoot this year. Players hitting the portal, leaving for the draft, coaches on the move, etc. Why bother.
    Ok - I bother because I'm a degenerate and will need a rooting interest in some of these games.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can't see any school doing that. It's a sport with a crazy amount of injuries and short professional careers. Any school tries that, the first guy with any kind of minor injury
    who plays and hurts his draft status will have a good lawsuit. Just as college basketball became one or two and done, big-time college football now is officially the NFL minor leagues.

7. jr/shotglass

I would think if it's part of a legal document, like a scholarship agreement, it could be argued that the athlete knew the dangers coming in.

8. cjericho

yeah they could make it part of a legal document and the first time someone's draft status is damaged from an injury, he will say they pushed him to play and he told them he
    wasn't 100%. If it's someone with eligibility left, he doesn't even need to sue. He can tell the school to go scratch and transfer. Guess we'll have to wait and see if any school tries it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If NIL benefits are paid monthly, I could certainly understand the December check being cut off if you don't play. You don't work, you don't get paid.

10. cjericho

so NBA teams should easily be able to cut player's pay for load management days?

you never take a sick day when you're not really sick?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's an investment.

Sit today, so you'll be fresh for other games.

Sitting so you'll protect yourself to play for someone else? Nope.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think there's a school of thought that players opting out of a bowl game can be mutually beneficial. The player doesn't risk injury, and the coaching staff can give the practice and game reps to someone who will be there next season.
    It sucks for the fans who want to see this year's team one more time, but who cares about the fans anymore?

jr/shotglass and cjericho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted