1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, occasionally there are players you wish would opt out . . . but they never do. :)

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Schools can say nope all they want, so far they can't do anything about it. Just like players couldn't do anything about it when the coach
    who recruited them left for a bigger contract at another school after one year. Could see something happening if a player opts out of
    a playoff game, but the majority of bowl games don't mean shit, except to die-hard college fans.

JC likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, you could put a tidy chunk of the NIL money to be paid after Jan. 1. Or not paid.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why not opt out of game 12? Or 11? Or 10?

How many teams were chasing playoff berths after 10 weeks? Maybe 7?

5. cjericho

think guys opt out pretty much after they've shown enough and then prepare for the combine. usually a good season and a good showing at the
    combine will help draft positioning more than being the MVP at the Coffee Frisco or Famous Toasery Bowl Games.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lot of people spend an inordinate amount of time on these threads fantasizing about ways to take money away from the players.

It’s just weird.

7. cjericho

and the money in NIL is nothing compared to the money college coaches get. and some do shit jobs and get a shitload of money.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And a shitload more to just go away.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Frosted Strawberry and I beg to differ.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Entire coaching staffs go on the lam between Thanksgiving and the Weedwhacker Bowl and nobody bats an eyelash.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thank you.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I used to live off frosted brown sugar pop-tarts when i was young and poor. Now that I have kids, they call that flavor Daddy’s Pop-tarts.

Draft saved Draft deleted