1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The NCCAA is for holy roller schools whose administrations think the NAIA is unacceptably onerous.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It’s always a line between me and my dad. We’ll be talking about some girls basketball game that ended like 78-9. And then you see that the team that scored nine somehow has a win. And you wonder WHO did they possibly beat? And then search online to see if you can find that team's season scores.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Some small Christian colleges hold dual membership in the NAIA and the NCCAA.

4. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

One of the most awkward arguments I ever had with a publisher was NCCAA-related.

We were doing a special "book" (more like a glorified magazine, but that's not important) on best local sports moments since the 1950s. Our local softball team won a ton of NCCAA championships. It's a joke. It's like an eight-team tournament, no qualification necessary.

I stupidly bring it up, but in dismissive jest, and he's like, "Hey, they won a national championship. Let's include them."

And I respond, "No. Their inclusion will diminish actual accomplishments elsewhere in the book. They play in an all-comers bullshit tournament."

"THEY WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP," he insisted.

"THEY WON A BULLSHIT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP," I retorted, though noting he was getting pissed at my dismissiveness. We literally had a staredown for a few seconds in front of my EE and the ad director. They were scared of the publisher and I could tell by the look on their faces that I was traipsing way beyond what he was typically used to in terms of pushback.

Quickly, the neurons in my brain began firing with things like "not a hill to die on", "who gives a fuck?", "make someone else on-staff write that part", and most important, "he signs your paycheck".

So I relented and said, "You're the boss. If you want them in, they're in."

Fuck the NCCAA.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"National championship" in quotes.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Heh ... we think alike. That could be dangerous.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As someone who was the starting second baseman on a 1981 North Dakota Class E or Class F slowpitch state titlist (I forget which), no championships are meaningless!!

Seriously, we were like 4-25 or something in the regular season, just horrible, but we were lumped into a league with much better teams and lost a lot of close games. But since ND is so small, they have statewide tournaments in about 5-6 classifications.

We won two games in Bismarck to qualify, then went to Minot for a 128-team, single-elimination tournament. We win twice on Saturday and then win five in a row on Sunday, playing back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back games.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

A federal judge has issued a 14-day injunction that allows players that were denied waivers as second-time transfers to play immediately. This should inject some chaos into the next two weeks of games.

Ruling favors NCAA athletes seeking 2nd transfer

franticscribe likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Partial list of now eligible players:

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Now do Bill Self.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So is there any way that Juwan Howard survives his latest pants-shitting at Michigan? Feels very much like a Bobby Knight scenario, where there's a zero-tolerance policy handed down, then the coach just can't help himself from getting into a bad situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted