1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Some things to keep in mind fellow voters as you ponder your selection in the upcoming presidential election

1. A jury of his peers found Trump to have sexually abused a woman (who he later repeatedly defamed)
    2. Trump knew exactly how dangerous covid was, but downplayed it anyway in order to get reelected
    3. Many congressional Republicans believed Trump should have been convicted in January 2021 but were too scared to vote for it because they feared being killed by Trump supporters
    4. Trump is a mentally unbalance psychopath
    5. Trump is a relentlessly criminal character

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Butter Emails!
    Sleepy Joe!
    Hunter's laptop!
    No facts, just stupid nicknames and accusations!

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Great. When Charlotte FC is up 2-0 in the second half, can they stay onside while running the Four Corners?

And now Tepper can hang him in effigy when he fires him.

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the election were today, Trump would win with between 350-400 electoral votes and 51-55 percent of the vote. Now, the election is not today, but that's a big lead. It will shrink as the disaffected Democrats who're s large favtor in the polls come back to the party, but will it vanish altogether. I dunno. Americans are into freedom for themselves. For other people, not so much. And there's no escaping the mass political attitude that "I saw something that made me unhappy on the TV news and the President didn't make it go away. He's a bum."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Went to dinner with several church friends last night, just enough that I couldn’t be part of every conversation. But I could hear the people to my left beginning to discuss Trump and hearing one woman ask “Oh, is he running again?”

This board is by its very nature people who follow the news. As hard as it is for us to fathom, there are many people who don’t.

6. Michael_ Gee

I always remember the old Letterman line, uttered like in February, "polls show that if the election was held today, an overwhelming majority of voters would be very surprised."

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two things here: The youngs aren't nearly the rubber stamp Biden voters many people think, and Trump's biggest support group isn't the "getting ready to die" group; it's the "have 30-35 good years left" group.

8. Michael_ Gee

The weird thing about these polls (not saying they're wrong, just weird) is not just that demographically speaking they're upside down from 2020, they're upside down from subsequent elections, too, most notably 2022. If young people backed Democrats by 25 points last November, now 13 months later support Trump over Biden, that's an astonishing shift. We ought to see more stories about it and NOT some Times reporter going back to his Ivy alma mater for some thumb sucking.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Seriously, oof

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The weird thing about the Academics screwing up their appearance in front of Congress last week - that there are at least a half-dozen colleagues of the committe members who have said as bad or worse things about specific people - not making a generalized pronouncement advocating violence against a group of people - but saying things about specific people - these members don't lift a finger. Seems pretty clear if you want to call for genocide of anyone, you only need to be in Congress to not worry about keeping your job.

But I do think people who "no big thing" if Trump is elected are kidding themselves. We've already seen Congress and the Judiciary undermined. There are no checks who will check. No balances, who will balance.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I haven't paid attention to what's going on at these Ivy League schools. Two groups in a foreign land killing each other based on religion isn't my concern. American college kids having proxy fights is even more stupid.
    That said, I know two things:
    1. Stefanik is a grandstander who probably did everything she could to generate sound bites and clicks.
    2. Place a mic in front of an academic, and it's an awkward shitshow.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted