1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Can you explain why you’re trying to introduce things not involved with the discussion?

I’m talking about abortion and what was a settled matter until Roe was inexplicably overturned. That the situation in Texas and now Kentucky shouldn’t be happening. If we didn’t have a stolen court, it wouldn’t be happening.

If you want to discuss the overall shittiess of the U.S. healthcare system, great. It’s a different topic.

This just seems like subject changing to me. And you really like that bumper sticker line. Use it a few more times. It’s cute.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Only one of three seats on the current SCOTUS was stolen. Thurgood Marshall punched out during a GOP administration knowing well what would happen, and RBG hung on about 3 3/4 years too long. Merrick Garland got turtled, but that in retrospect might have been a wash vis-a-vis Gorsuch, who hasn't been a lock-step ideologue like Clarence and Alito have been.

I'm not old enough to remember when a Dem president got to fill a GOP-appointed SCOTUS seat. Probably have to go back to LBJ at least.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My first reply was to your statement " women’s health care is nobody’s fucking business but their own", which is logically flimsy. I never changed the subject.

And if stare decisis is the sun of your argument regarding Roe and Dobbs, you are going to have do more. It's not too difficult to point out 'settled' constitutional decisions that have been overturned.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is interesting to me. Any age? Any reason?

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That was totally asked in good faith.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m genuinely curious. Because I think when most people say they’re for it, or OK with it - the assisted part, that is - they’re thinking of a very small subset of suffering folks, often those who are going to die soon anyway.

There’s a story by Wendell Berry - I assume you know who that is - related to a man dying in the hospital, but not dead, who will be kept alive in a coma by doctors fulfilling their oath against the many wishes of the man’s community, so his son breaks him out of the hospital so the man can die in a barn, on what I suppose Berry’s would call God’s timing, vs. the artificial life sustained in the hospital. The cops come to see about it and there’s an artful dodge by the family lawyer, etc. It is a “crime” a community agrees is not a crime.

But the parameters are pretty clear in that story.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The RW has done a masterful job making that seem like a reality. That there are a lot of women who glide through life, having sex and using abortion as their primary birth control. Nevermind the financial cost, invasiveness and emotional toll of having an abortion.

Driftwood and Smallpotatoes like this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure even the most pro-abortion (as opposed to pro-choice) person would hardly describe the procedure as fun.

“So, what do you do for fun?”

“I play pickleball, you?”

“I have abortions. I’m having one tonight. Care to join me?”

“Sure. Let me go get my bowling ball.”

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Speaking of which . . .

Well, Mike Damone was a little prick for not chipping in the $75 for Stacy's abortion. At the free clinic.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Amusingly (not really), one person of whom it's been demonstrated in court proceedings DOES use abortions as a routine and casual method of birth control (or orders them to be used), to the extent of going on radio/teevee interviews and carping because his current fuckbunnies have neglected to do so and thus undergoing inconvenient or unsightly pregnancies, is none other than the god emperor himself, Fatfuck.

Who can be shown mathematically to have virtually certainly ordered hundreds if not thousands of abortions in his lifetime. You'd think some of the Shiite Right to Lifers would get busy and dole out some of their divine justice to him.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Show your work.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was 18 or 19 when my girlfriend’s friend’s partner got an abortion. It was $300 in 1997-98 dollars, so not cheap for a scared teenager. My girlfriend accompanied her to the clinic. It was purportedly the stereotypical condom-broke-oh-shit moment. I lost contact with that group long ago, and I wonder how she’s doing today.

Draft saved Draft deleted